Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension groaning when turning wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

My 2023 Tesla is nearing its 1 year birthday, i have done 20.000 miles in the car and have noticed that whenever turning the steering wheel at very slow speed / almost standstill there is a rubbing, groaning noise from suspension.

Most noticeable is, if i want to do a 3 point turn on some road, when i then have to turn the wheels the opposite way to what they are when the car is not moving, the groaning is quite noticeable.

Anyone know if that's "Normal" or something i should get looked at. ?

Hi

My 2023 Tesla is nearing its 1 year birthday, i have done 20.000 miles in the car and have noticed that whenever turning the steering wheel at very slow speed / almost standstill there is a rubbing, groaning noise from suspension.

Most noticeable is, if i want to do a 3 point turn on some road, when i then have to turn the wheels the opposite way to what they are when the car is not moving, the groaning is quite noticeable.

Anyone know if that's "Normal" or something i should get looked at. ?
If it is more of a creaking noise like an old door, it could be your front upper control arm balljoints. If it is a groan, it actually might be your brakes. Try making those maneuvers with the brakes totally off (roll mode) or push the brakje pedal down hard and really clamp them down.

Reactions: EVChris
If it is more of a creaking noise like an old door, it could be your front upper control arm balljoints. If it is a groan, it actually might be your brakes. Try making those maneuvers with the brakes totally off (roll mode) or push the brakje pedal down hard and really clamp them down.
I think it's the first, will try the tests you suggest.

If it is the first, is this something Tesla will fix under warranty ?

Does it make the noise if the car IS moving when you do a 3 point turn? If not, then it’s likely the tires twisting against the pavement. Many years ago (about 60) I was taught not to turn the wheel while the car is stationary, especially not lock to lock as one would do in a 3 point turn. Plus it was very hard to do without power steering.😖

Does it make the noise if the car IS moving when you do a 3 point turn? If not, then it’s likely the tires twisting against the pavement. Many years ago (about 60) I was taught not to turn the wheel while the car is stationary, especially not lock to lock as one would do in a 3 point turn. Plus it was very hard to do without power steering.😖
I think it does it also when moving very slowly and while i agree with the "Do not turn wheels when stationary" i have to do it sometimes, because the roads are very narrow and it is not possible to do a rolling 3 point.