Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Happy medium for used MX?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I’m new to the forums. I am currently driving a Honda Odyssey minivan (bought when I had the need for 3 car seats). Our second car is a Mercedes SL roadster. I’m looking to replace the minivan now that the kids are older, two are tall teenagers, one preteen. I test drove the M3 and MX last week. A new LR3 is more my price range, but I don’t think it’ll be a comfortable fit for our entire family. I am very interested in autopilot and FSD as well. The SA was telling me that I should get a new MX vs a used one because if I want to take advantage of FSD, I would need the latest hardware. He also said that I could possibly retrofit if I got one at least 2017 or newer but they’re not sure when that would even be possible. Is there a used MX that would be a happy medium- newer hardware that can handle FSD but not as high a price as a brand new one? Should I just keep the van and wait for the MY? How about a used MS- would that fit 3 tall kids in the back? Ideally, I’d like to spend under 70K. My husband suggested getting a new M3 and keeping the van for road trips etc, but I doubt anyone would want to take the van once we have a Tesla. Thank you so much for any input and suggestions you may have!

Model year 2017 and up can get the new FSD computer when you buy FSD. The X is a fun vehicle for everyone. Ideally, you want Auto Pilot Hardware 2.5 (AP2.5) but AP2.0 would work.

The model Y may fit your budget better if you can wait. The third row will not be of any use to you in the the Y. I think it only good for toddlers and elementary school sized kids.

Either way, I think you will enjoy your car.