Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard braking score worse on Model S Refresh (March 2022) than Model S 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enabled FSD opt in on my 2018 Model S at start of Jan this year, and was able to achieve a 100 score fairly easily with the aid of an accelerometer app on the iOS store. I then received my Model S Refresh March this year, and also opted in. However I kept getting hits for hard braking. I thought the issue was the Model S refresh does not allow low regen braking setting like the 2018. Which means when you go uphill and lift you foot off the accelerator too quickly you could get a ding on the score.

So I tried very carefully to lift my foot carefully up hills, and the app from the store did not beep. Yet I still got a ding?? I eventually figured that one of my regular trips where I got dinged the most was almost all down hill? So I wrote my own app to try figure what was going on. At first I cancelled out the effect of gravity no matter the angle of the car, which the other app did based on my testing. An this works perfectly in the 2018 Model S. I then changed my app to calibrate the gravity when the car is on a flat surface, and subtract that, no matter the angle of the car while driving. And voila, it now correctly beeps when I get a negative score on my Model S Refresh.

I believe the problem is the new Model S accelerometer does not factor out gravity, like the old one. I verified this with my app. What this means is when going down hill the 2018 Model S cancels out the effect of gravity, however the Model S refresh does not cancel out gravity. So in essence you need to take a longer distance to brake when going downhill, and conversely can brake in a much shorter distance going uphill. If the hill is steep enough you literally can't stop without getting a braking score hit!! This is absurd!

Wondering if anyone else with a Model S Refresh is seeing the same thing? Note, this is the very latest Refresh (March 2022) with the new tail lights and no Radar. I suspect due to chip shortages it may have a different piece of hardware and they have not programmed it correctly, or the hardware simply does not have measurement for gravity.

Well I don't have a model X, I have an X, but your post reminded me of something. We all know that "hard braking" score is crap. Example from yesterday and today. Yesterday I went down to the Fremont plant and back home to Sparks. Almost 500 miles round trip. Not a single hard braking was registered.

Now this morning, I didn't go anywhere, I just washed the car. I was cleaning the tires and then moved the car literally just 2 feet to rotate the tires about 1/2 way around so I could finish cleaning inside. The car registered a 3.1 hard braking !!! Whoever programmed that stuff isn't very smart. Actually, I think I know who programmed it and. ..... well I won't say anything else. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Mark II