Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone ever used a 12v converter for camping trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the Model Y has 2 USBc outlets for passengers in the rear seats and some USBc and USB outlets up front, but I just found out it also has a 12v outlet on the left side of the trunk. Has anyone tried something like this to power electronics and other hardware that require a regular outlet plug? Any issues or things to be aware of?

Be careful and get a high quality inverter.
I had a 500W fizzle,pop, smoke last weekend, and when I remove it the 12V insert was almost melting. The load was a small laptop (MacBook Air) so definitely a manufacturing issue.

For electronics unlikely you need more than 300W. But u wouldn’t want to go close to its max rating. The bestek 300W are little workhorses that ive used a lot to charge laptops on road trips.

I would still never leave one working unattended.
There are more pricey options (yeti, goalzero) that have batteries etc but it’s a bigger scope of functionality too.

The "watt rating" for inverters is often the surge rating, and typically only valid for a few seconds before overheating. Make sure it is "true sine wave" if using for electronics. I've been using a one of these for several years: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4TBW6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note the spread between "peak" and typical. I had to change the wiring to put a lighter plug on it.

I went through quite a few smaller rated ones before this one. Nominal watts seemed fine, but they crapped out pretty quick. Used for just for a laptop and cell phone charging. Also look out for a variable fan. Cheapo ones have the noisy fan on continuously, regardless if necessary. Wastes power, too.