Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Havasupai Trailhead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone make the trip to the Havasupai Canyon Trailhead at Hualapai Hilltop Parking Lot in AZ? We're going in May and I am doubting whether my MYLR can make it so am debating just renting an ICE vehicle for the trip. Any experiences would be appreciated.

Where are you staying the night before? We stayed at the Grand Canyon Caverns Inn which is only like 70 miles from the hilltop. More than enough for a LR I would imagine. We were from out of town so had a gas car so it didn't matter, but your answer depends on where you last charge is, and where the next one is after you hike out. If you can find something in that area around Grand Canyon Caverns Inn than you should be fine...but I'm sure it's slow charging.
The closest supercharger look like 119 miles away. Now that's pushing it (IMHO). I'd map out the elevation change between the two and make a decision.

BTW, you're gonna have a great time. Unbelievable out there.

Anyone make the trip to the Havasupai Canyon Trailhead at Hualapai Hilltop Parking Lot in AZ? We're going in May and I am doubting whether my MYLR can make it so am debating just renting an ICE vehicle for the trip. Any experiences would be appreciated.
It looks possible, but....
Where are you staying the night before? We stayed at the Grand Canyon Caverns Inn which is only like 70 miles from the hilltop. More than enough for a LR I would imagine.
You'd basically need to stay here for a night. It looks like from plugshare that the Grand Canyon Caverns Inn has an RV park with NEMA 14-50 receptacles. This obviously would require the mobile connector and the appropriate adapter. The RV park appears to be about a mile from the hotel.
The closest supercharger look like 119 miles away. Now that's pushing it (IMHO). I'd map out the elevation change between the two and make a decision.
The "preferred" ABRP route out of there (not telling at about the above mentioned 14-50) for a 2022 MY LR coming coming form Kingman (assuming San Diego is the origin), is a 100+ mile, 3+ hour detour in the wrong direction, with about 80 of it on a dirt road to hit the supercharger in Tusayan. That obviously doesn't seem pleasant. And that would be arriving at ~10% so a fairly low margin for error.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmaddr