Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Have you heard of the new thicker SunTek PPF? (Install Video added)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SunTek

Former Vendor
Mar 18, 2019
St Louis
SunTek PPF Ultra Defense is now available. This thicker paint protection film is made for the most vulnerable areas of your Tesla. It has enhanced resistance to chips and other high-impact damage, plus a hydrophobic top coat.

Anyone have this on their Tesla yet?

One of our dealers in San Antonio, TX recently fully wrapped a Tesla Model X in Ultra Defense, he also installed our CeramicIR window film. The video of that installation can be seen below:

Follow SunTek on Facebook and Instagram or Find a SunTek Dealer near you

Last edited:
Reactions: TintWorldSantaClara
I take delivery of my M3 performance Saturday and am shopping ppf now. What is the estimate % upcharge for this new film over ultimate? Or is this just the current version of the film, not an additional tier?

That's great! I'm sure you're excited to pick up the new ride and glad to hear you are looking to invest in protecting it. This product is a higher end film (being thicker it takes more raw materials to produce it), so this will reflect an increased retail price over our traditional PPF Ultra.

Keep in mind if you look into this product that our dealers are counting this cost as well as a bit more installation time installing a thicker film.

Are you planning to put the car on the track? This film is ideal for track cars or individuals who may live in harsher environments and looking for increased protection. You can find a SunTek dealer near you on our website.

If you have any questions or concerns let me know!

That's great! I'm sure you're excited to pick up the new ride and glad to hear you are looking to invest in protecting it. This product is a higher end film (being thicker it takes more raw materials to produce it), so this will reflect an increased retail price over our traditional PPF Ultra.

Keep in mind if you look into this product that our dealers are counting this cost as well as a bit more installation time installing a thicker film.

Are you planning to put the car on the track? This film is ideal for track cars or individuals who may live in harsher environments and looking for increased protection. You can find a SunTek dealer near you on our website.

If you have any questions or concerns let me know!
I will track it at least once to see how it does. Although doing so may lead to a new path of racing EV which I want to avoid, lol. I have an ICE track car so it only seems appropriate to at least collect the data in comparison.

I live on a dirt road which means my cars are constantly getting covered in silica dust. Also, historically my cars collect a decent amount of small road debris chips from the aggregate trucks spilling their gravel on the paved roads locally as they are running loads all day as the area is developed. I had a 3M bumper ppf installed on a car 7 years ago. Within a few months a gravel piece hit the film at highway speed. It tore the film and damaged the paint underneath. I swore I would never bother again since adding the film only cost me quite a bit more $ to get the car back to looking undamaged instead of saving me $ or aggravation. Given the new Ultra Defense being available I may consider frontal coverage. It is just hard to justify prepaying to MAYBE protect against damage an amount that is as much as repainting the area IF damaged. I will get some quotes and think about it.

What is the life expectancy in S FL stored outside? Thanks!

We back the film with a 10 year limited warranty across the board - and our product is sold in extreme weather environments from South Florida, to Canada, to Russia, to the Middle East. We have a full team of engineers who run a gambit of tests on our products to make sure they survive beyond the warranty time frame.

Reactions: LandToSea
So, I got the Ultra Defense installed a couple months ago and already have two panels with notable damage, the hood and rear quarter. I can live with the hood but the quarter needs replacement. To be honest I think the paint repair without the film would have been cheaper than paying for replacement PPF. This is exactly why I was hesitant to get this done and am already regretting it.
IMG_20190830_163616.jpg

So, I got the Ultra Defense installed a couple months ago and already have two panels with notable damage, the hood and rear quarter. I can live with the hood but the quarter needs replacement. To be honest I think the paint repair without the film would have been cheaper than paying for replacement PPF. This is exactly why I was hesitant to get this done and am already regretting it.
View attachment 453376

Hey! Thanks for letting us know. Could you send us a message with a few photos, model of your car, installer and contact info for you?

View attachment 453376

Did the Ultra Defense film at least sacrifice itself to protect the paint or did it still allow your paint to be damaged?

Please let us know how it turns out as we are considering Suntek Ultra Defense PPF.

View attachment 453376

Could you please share the outcome, as we are considering the same film.

I have dug into this situation and this was actually our PPF Ultra product, not the thicker Ultra Defense product just to be clear. Regardless we are working to rectify the issue. Thanks!

I don't see any mention of "Ultra Defense", as opposed to "Ultra", on your web site. Can you provide a link?

Also, what is the thickness difference between the two products?

Thanks.

I don't see any mention of "Ultra Defense", as opposed to "Ultra", on your web site. Can you provide a link?

Also, what is the thickness difference between the two products?

Thanks.

We're currently working on updating the website with Ultra Defense content. Quite simply it is a thicker version of Ultra so the performance content on Ultra remains for Ultra Defense. Ultra is ~8 mil thick, and Ultra Defense is ~11.5 mil thick. This is designed for increased impact resistance (harsher terrains, track vehicles, etc)

We're currently working on updating the website with Ultra Defense content. Quite simply it is a thicker version of Ultra so the performance content on Ultra remains for Ultra Defense. Ultra is ~8 mil thick, and Ultra Defense is ~11.5 mil thick. This is designed for increased impact resistance (harsher terrains, track vehicles, etc)

Any news on the videos with Ultra Defense content?

• Disagree
Reactions: cucubits