Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight/Taillight: To tint or not to tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I am debating if I should do a light headlight/taillight tint PPF such as this one (Tinted Headlight and Foglight Protection for Model 3 / Y PPF) for my black M3P.

To be completely honest, I am not a fan of tinted headlights/taillights because it can look childish and can be a genuine safety hazard, but the headlights/taillights on the Model 3 just look a bit too light for my liking. What are your guys' thoughts? I will post a poll, but if you guys want to comment or share pictures of your tinted headlights/taillights, you are more than welcome to do so.

To be completely honest, I am not a fan of tinted headlights/taillights because it can look childish and can be a genuine safety hazard,

Since you asked "what are your thoughts?" this quote from you echo's my own personal thoughts on tinted / smoked headlight / taillights. I would never do it, myself. Note that I like window tint however, and my windows are tinted at 20% all around, including my driver and passenger windows (which are not legal to tint at all in CA).

So, its not a "legality" thing for me, in that I am not saying "its not legal, so dont do it". Unlike window tint, making the taillights darker makes them harder to see, and drivers are more distracted than ever. Dark window tint doesnt make the car harder to see when braking, but taillight tint does.

So, Its a "hard (hard) pass" on that, for me.

... this quote from you echo's my own personal thoughts on tinted / smoked headlight / taillights. I would never do it, myself. Note that I like window tint however, and my windows are tinted at 20% all around, including my driver and passenger windows (which are not legal to tint at all in CA).
yup that is my thought as well. To add, when I lived in California a few years ago, my neighbor, CHP, said it is legal to tint driver, passenger and rear window and it depends on the degree of visibility light transmission. On my car, I put very light (almost un-noticeable) ceramic film mainly just to increase the amount of IR and UV blockage of the window. I don't recall what he said was the limit of visible light blockage allowed. I wasn't sure if it is still true or not so I texted him a few minutes ago and he sent several links to me. This is one of the links. I wonder how different it is for the OP in Florida.

ps. always like your responses to postings.

Appreciate the comments guys, I wish the poll still remained when the thread was moved.

Anyways, as for window tint, the max legal limit in Florida for front windows is 30-35% I believe. Personally, I have had 30% and it is too light, I like my privacy. On my previous car, I went with 20% which I thought was perfect (2 doors, no sunroof), but on the 3, given the vast amount of light that gets in due to the glass roof and overall big windows, I decided to go with 15% on all sides and back, which I think is just perfect.

If you want some tinted PPF but are conservative about the shade, you can just get the Light Tint (70%) from here (disclaimer - TWRAPS is my business):