Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tint headache on new 24 M3, Any advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this was exhausting to read, @Tezla1 you are not strong enough to handle life's purchase challenges, sorry dude

if you cannot live with the spots, assuming the CC will reverse the charge, how much for the 2nd good Xpel authorized tint shop to remove and install Xpel tint?

the cost of removal of the old tint might be large, so here are the options:
1. enjoy the bad free tint job
2. pay more for the Xpel place to remove the old and install the new tint, more will be your cost for picking the wrong place

in the end, listen to what everyone is saying, call your cc, cancel the charge

No chance I would let them touch my car again. Do the charge back and let the credit card company deal with those a-holes. Do they think they are going to be able to reuse the tint?
No, the tint would be worthless to them. If it was possible to reuse they would have just reapplied for OP. The reason why they request that is to prevent the case of a customer complaining only to get a free tint (which they probably will continue using with the supposed defects). If you have ever done business you likely would have encountered customers like this. It's the same reason why retailers ask for the item back when you request a return. Many times, it is chucked straight into the trash, but by simply asking for it back, it stops that type of abuse of the return policy.
They have shown they are incompetent - why let them prove it again on your car?
As another suggested, given the tint is not satisfactory and worth $0 to the OP, presumably the OP will have another shop reapply. In that case, just take photo/video proof of the tint being removed and that should satisfy any concerns of shop (plus any proof that might be required for a chargeback).

I agree with others, the main thing to be careful for a tint removal are the rear defrost lines. They are very fragile and the tint can easily pull them off or damage them if not being careful.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Update:

I have formally requested a charge back from my CC. I have sent them about 10 pictures along with pretty much what I have said in OP.

They said charge back claims take 30-60 days to resolve.

One thing they bothers me is, the CC company may contact the tint shop, and the tint shop may say, we will offer a refund if I bring car back to remove tint, as they don’t want to give away free tint.
Probably Seems reasonable to some people, but in my situation, I’m 100% certain they will cause damage to my car if I let them touch it now.

Either way, I will NOT be allowing the tint shop to touch my car. I don’t care what happens.

I will also be posting reviews on all review sites showing all pictures and text messages exchanges between me and tint shop.

Reactions: Skavatar
One thing they bothers me is, the CC company may contact the tint shop
Of course they will.
and the tint shop may say, we will offer a refund if I bring car back to remove tint, as they don’t want to give away free tint.
Most likely, yes.

Probably Seems reasonable to some people, but in my situation, I’m 100% certain they will cause damage to my car if I let them touch it now.

Either way, I will NOT be allowing the tint shop to touch my car. I don’t care what happens.
It is reasonable. But you could also go the route of having another shop removing the tint and then showing them that.

Reactions: Skavatar
It is reasonable. But you could also go the route of having another shop removing the tint and then showing them that.

I’m open to this, but the amount of time I have wasted on this issue is ridiculous. I wasted a solid 30-40 hours over a simple tint job. Not to mention 4 trips to and from tint shop.

The last thing I want to do is offer them any sort of convenience

Reactions: Skavatar and jiren
Update:

I have formally requested a charge back from my CC. I have sent them about 10 pictures along with pretty much what I have said in OP.

They said charge back claims take 30-60 days to resolve.

One thing they bothers me is, the CC company may contact the tint shop, and the tint shop may say, we will offer a refund if I bring car back to remove tint, as they don’t want to give away free tint.

I will also be posting reviews on all review sites showing all pictures and text messages exchanges between me and tint shop.

This is standard procedure, nothing to worry about. They will contact the shop and after the vendor replies they will contact you. Assuming the shop is unable to produce evidence you are at fault, this may include emails, texts, voicemails, and it's legal in your state your credit card will side with you. When the CC calls you tell them you're not comfortable with returning to the vendor to have the tint removed out of fear of retribution and willing to go to a shop of the CC's choice. At that point they will reimburse you for the full cost of the tint material and installation. Unless your card is a VISA Infinite or AMEX Platinum tier, I'd be surprised if they cover removal at another shop. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

I'm currently shopping for a 3M tint shop myself. I went with Xpel on my former Tesla, but from what I read 3M Nano is currently the best and with giant windows on the Y, I'm willing to fork out the premium.

you bent over backwards for them, manager rescheduled multiple times, making several trips to their shop, etc.

give them negative reviews with pictures on Yelp, Google Maps, etc

around my part of Houston the cost of tint removal is around $140-145 for the full car. i'd pay to get that crappy tint job removed and hold on to it until the CC company refunds you, in case they want you to return it to the shop, which they can't reuse anyways. my LLumar IRX 15% front, sides, and rear was $445, windshield LLumar Air 80% was $165, took him 1hr 55mins while I waited. no issues at all.

Reactions: Tezla1