Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi from the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just starting my EV journey (pun intended..;-)). I currently have 3 Land Rover models (Defender, Discovery and Evoque) and would like to change at least one of them to an EV.

Given I need range, 4WD and space the Model X looks a contender, so I am soaking up as much information as I can about the EV world.

Charging and range are interesting topics and I look forward to seeing how it all works in practice.

cheers

simon

If you install a charge port on your house, charging is never an issue. My 85 goes 250 miles on full charge, A 100 will go farther.
If you have a garage? And CB panel is in garage its easy. I put mine on outside of house, i dont have a garage.
I keep it charged to 90%. Here is page from manual, it goes for all Teslas

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for the offer of advice.

Ive been crunching numbers and it looks like its going to cost me an extra £2.5k per year to swap to a Model S (let alone a Model X). At this rate I think I'll probably keep my Discovery for a while longer yet.

Shame, as I really like the Tesla approach to things.

I think I'd also miss the capacity, range and sheer convenience of the Discovery if I'm honest, but would welcome your thoughts given your transition from a FFRR to a Tesla (which model do you have..?)

cheers

simon

Hi Simon,

I have a model S it has great leg room and a massive boot and frunk, the only thing you will miss is the ride height but you can always opt for the X. Did you take into consideration that there is a £4500 government incentive to buy EVs, there is no road tax and no London congestion charge either? Having a ICE car will cost more in the future with fuel prices going up and more taxes to pay. Also another fact to consider is that EV really need minimal maintenance apart from the usual wear and tear bits the Tesla has 22 moving parts and not the complex ICE engine with various fluids to change, this will save you a lot down the line. I remember my FFRR costing me thousands in service. Perhaps you should have a test drive for 24 hours and see how you get one you really will see the benefits! The 6 months free supercharging offer at the moment is great saving you some money as well as the fact that it will only cost you £7 max to charge the car at home and £10 at the superchargers giving you anywhere from 230-310 miles range. Trust me when I say I don't miss spending £120+ on a full tank :)

comparison
--------------------
range rover - 784 litres of boot space with the rear seats in place, which increases to 1,761 litres

Tesla model s - 894 litres of luggage space altogether – 150 litres of which are in the front where the engine would usually be. Drop the rear seats and space grows to 1,795 litres

Last edited: