Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitch whine while sitting parked in the garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So lately I have been noticing a high pitch whine coming from my car while its parked in the garage. Its faint, hard to localize, and it sounds like something is spinning very fast. I think it is coming from underneath the front of the car somewhere. Plugging in the car does not stop it, nor does waking it up from the app, or even walking towards it with my key(unlocking it). But as soon as I open the driver's side door(honestly have not checked any of the other doors), it will stop. Battery is at 74%.
Car is a 2018 S75D, with almost 29K miles. It does seem to have a small battery drain associated with it, maybe 1 mile per hour according to Teslafi. Teslafi also shows the car is not sleeping during this period.

This is the coolant pump running. It's been discussed here in other posts. Basically from what people are saying, anytime the car is sitting with a state of charge > 80%, the pump will run for extended periods. This started happening with one of the more recent (2019) firmware updates.

This is allegedly (unconfirmed) a preventative measure intended to maintain battery health and prevent thermal issues.

It is "normal".

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
This is the coolant pump running. It's been discussed here in other posts. Basically from what people are saying, anytime the car is sitting with a state of charge > 80%, the pump will run for extended periods. This started happening with one of the more recent (2019) firmware updates.

My state of charge was less than 80%, it was would have started at 78%.