Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched whine at 33MPH and 49-50MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y makes a high pitched whine noise that only happens at 33 MPH and 49-50 MPH. Any higher or any lower and the high pitched whine disappears. If you set cruise control to 33MPH or 50MPH, you'll hear a constant whine noise. My co-worker owns a Tesla and I casually mentioned this today and he said his car does the exact same thing at the exact same speed. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone know why?

check this thread...issue is likely misaligned perimeter seal under the back seat. you can try stuffing foam around the perimeter under the back seat or tesla can replace the seal.

The original 2020 Tesla Model Y and other early model year Tesla Model Y vehicles had an issue where the battery penthouse perimeter seal was sometimes incorrectly installed or missing entirely. You may have hold Tesla to account; have the issue properly diagnosed and replace the seal if it is missing or defective. Replacing the seal requires removing the battery pack.

Newer Performance Model Y vehicles use an updated motor that may also cause a high pitched noise.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing you are experiencing, but I had a lot of back and forth with the shop before they ended up replacing my front motor due to being outside of spec (while initially arguing with me that it was within spec). As others have mentioned, if you only have a rear motor, it might be related to the perimeter seal instead. For front motors, though, evidently there is not enough noise-dampening to keep out-of-spec motor whine from reaching the cockpit. If all of us hold Tesla accountable, maybe they will eventually institute some QA on their motors before shipping...any day now.