Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched whine from front - LR Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an annoying high pitched whine that sounds like it's coming from the front of my RWD M3. It's not loud at all, but it's at just the right high pitched frequency that I find it annoying. It's almost like a transmission gear whine, and I can hear it if I'm accelerating, or decelerating. But if I coast I'm able to get it to mostly go away. Just like a transmission would do; when you take the pressure off the gears the sound is minimized. But of course there's no transmission.

Anyone else have something like this? Just trying to know if it's a sound of something wrong or not.

I'm not sure if we're hearing the same sounds but my AWD has been extra whiny this week. I'm unsure about location, maybe front, but it sounds like a very mild but high pitched brake squeal. I have a wind noise service next week, I'll ask the SC about it.

I have an annoying high pitched whine that sounds like it's coming from the front of my RWD M3. It's not loud at all, but it's at just the right high pitched frequency that I find it annoying. It's almost like a transmission gear whine, and I can hear it if I'm accelerating, or decelerating. But if I coast I'm able to get it to mostly go away. Just like a transmission would do; when you take the pressure off the gears the sound is minimized. But of course there's no transmission.

Anyone else have something like this? Just trying to know if it's a sound of something wrong or not.

I recorded and tried to isolate the sound from the road noise in my M3. Definitely not normal. See link. Model3_Front_Motor_Noise.mp3

I have the jetson type noise coming from my front dual motor. Sounds cool.
Had to look up jetson car sound and you nailed it.
Happening in my dual motor randomly since 2 months old, around 8,000km mark. Hearing it more frequently now at 15,000km. The only variable I can see where it happens more often is with time and miles on the car. Hot/cold weather, highway/city driving, battery state of charge doesn't seem to affect when it does it.
my guess is it's front induction motor noises. Has similar pitch and intensity to the following Model s clip but with more of the jetsons car quality. Maybe one reason no AM radio included in model 3...

Its absolutely not Normal... but it is common. It is easily fixed by a Tesla service center under warranty, by replacing the ground strap.