Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger rebate...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently on the hunt for our first EV.
In my research, I’m looking into the rebate programs offered by our local electric company (PEPCO).
It looks like they only offer a rebate for a non-Tesla home charger by an outfit called Chargepoint.
Has anyone had any experience with these vs the Tesla ones?
Any advice?
Thanks!

Welcome to TMC! The ChargePoint EVSE is a decent product. I don’t personally have one but have seen/heard decent things. You can control them and get telemetry from them via a wifi connection. The Tesla EVSE works great but it’s dumb, can’t connect to it.

Chargepoint is the largest EV charging network in the world. Their chargers will work to charge your Tesla but you will be limited to using a charging adapter at 32 amps or 24 miles per hour. You already get a 32 amp mobile charger with the car, so the rebate is of little to no value. What you need is a 50 amp 14-50R outlet installed to use the included mobile adapter - you will need that with chargepoint too, so why bother? I believe you need to purchase the 14-50R for your mobile charger these days for $35.

If you want to charge faster you want the Tesla Wall charger which requires a dedicated install - no plug - and will charge at 48 amps or 36 miles per hour. The HPWC is $500 and in Austin you can get some or all of the installation cost refunded if you use a licensed electrician. Problem is if you say the word "Tesla" they will gouge the hell out of you on price using the FUD principal, while the car actually only needs the same type wiring as a welding rig or any RV to do maximum (48A) level 2 charging.

You can control the charger with the phone app so it needs no WiFi.

Currently on the hunt for our first EV.
In my research, I’m looking into the rebate programs offered by our local electric company (PEPCO).
It looks like they only offer a rebate for a non-Tesla home charger by an outfit called Chargepoint.
Has anyone had any experience with these vs the Tesla ones?
Any advice?
Thanks!
How much is the rebate? I have been using a leviton J1772 unit since 2012. Worked on my Volt and now on my 2 teslas. You have to use the adapter but no big deal. If you decide to buy a different car brand later on it will work for that one.

So for those it looks like 14-50 install is needed anyway so it is a wash.

The first one I loved at was $600 seeing as a spare Tesla UMC is $300 I see no point in messing with the rebate program. Though I guess after rebate you essentially get the wifi option for the same price, though I would then buy a second J1772 adapter one for the trunk and one to stay on the ChargePoint.

I do however think it prudent to have a backup charging option.
I installed a Tesla wall connector as my primary and the UMC stays in the car for travel and backup.

If you think being able to recharge at home quickly is something that might benefit you or think a second EV might be in the future consider a HCWC. If you are trying to spend as little as possible I would encourage you to still consider a spare UMC, they are reliable but you never know when an accident can happen.