Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario Ivy Home Charger $1000. rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone in Ontario (Canada not California :) taking advantage of the Ivy Home Charger rebate program? Link is below. It is available until 17 November 2023. I just received their estimate, and even after the rebate of $1000, it will cost me $870 plus HST for the wall charger and installation. On their website the charger is $700, so it appears the labour amounts to $1100.

It requires that you use the IVY app to pay for home charging. Okay, dumb question, but if you are charging at home, don't you pay the local electricity company when charging? For example, if I was using a Tesla wall charger at home, I wouldn't be paying Tesla would I?

I'm going to speak with my electrician to compare IVY at $870 to a Tesla wall charger to outlet for a mobile charger.

Thats right with home charging you are only paying for the electricity with your monthly bills
Thanks!
Ivy are IMO, the worst charging network also. I have never had any access with their CHAdeMO.
You bring up a good point- I need to check if I need a CHAdemo adapter. thanks.
Worst charging network ever- do you think that applies to their home EV wall charger too? I am planning to continue with Tesla superchargers when I take a road trip.

Thanks!

You bring up a good point- I need to check if I need a CHAdemo adapter. thanks.
Worst charging network ever- do you think that applies to their home EV wall charger too? I am planning to continue with Tesla superchargers when I take a road trip.
Again, the big question is "WHY?" the Tesla WC is so much cheaper and you don’t pay them to charge from your own house. This model you described, just dent pass the bounce test for me. I paid $620 for mine from Tesla. Cost me another $500 to get the electrocution to upgrade me from my Sun Country L2. I am in complete control of how this narrative plays out and not paying anyone to "use" the charge I paid them for. Just my 2¢.

Absolutely, I agree the Tesla Wall Connector is the best option. However, the electrician I spoke with said it would have been possible with a Generation 2 Tesla WC, but now they only sell Generation 3 WC and these do not pass inspection for homes in Ontario (60 amp). He said I could use a universal charger, like Grizzle (through IVY program, or I guess I could buy Grizzle without the IVY program). I wonder if the Tesla Universal Wall Connector which is offered on the Tesla website would pass ESA or would it be the same as Gen 3 Wall Connector.

Reactions: richyrich
However, the electrician I spoke with said it would have been possible with a Generation 2 Tesla WC, but now they only sell Generation 3 WC and these do not pass inspection for homes in Ontario (60 amp).
Errr...what? Not sure if I missed something but this statement from the electrician doesn't make sense.

The gen 2 connector went up to 80A (iirc).

There should be no reason the gen 3 connector could not pass inspection. Even if you only had 100A service you could set the wall connector to draw fewer than 48 amps (max draw of the gen 3 due to the 80% rule).

Absolutely, I agree the Tesla Wall Connector is the best option. However, the electrician I spoke with said it would have been possible with a Generation 2 Tesla WC, but now they only sell Generation 3 WC and these do not pass inspection for homes in Ontario (60 amp). He said I could use a universal charger, like Grizzle (through IVY program, or I guess I could buy Grizzle without the IVY program). I wonder if the Tesla Universal Wall Connector which is offered on the Tesla website would pass ESA or would it be the same as Gen 3 Wall Connector.
The electrician your working with , is an idiot, That’s because they are uneducated and fear configuring the charger through the browser interface. There are qualified ones out there. I live in a building and the building electrician did the install and I completed the config on my own with the help of Tesla support. The WC3 is the best solution. Anyone will vouch for that. You should consider using on electrician on Tesla’s list.

Errr...what? Not sure if I missed something but this statement from the electrician doesn't make sense.

The gen 2 connector went up to 80A (iirc).

There should be no reason the gen 3 connector could not pass inspection. Even if you only had 100A service you could set the wall connector to draw fewer than 48 amps (max draw of the gen 3 due to the 80% rule).
Thanks!
Full disclosure- I know nothing about this stuff! I will get some second opinions from different qualified electricians. In the meantime, I found this thread which has info on Generation 3 wall connectors not getting the love in Ontario: Tesla Engineers crapped the bed on the gen 3 wall connector.

There is still the option of the mobile connector

The electrician your working with , is an idiot, That’s because they are uneducated and fear configuring the charger through the browser interface. There are qualified ones out there. I live in a building and the building electrician did the install and I completed the config on my own with the help of Tesla support. The WC3 is the best solution. Anyone will vouch for that. You should consider using on electrician on Tesla’s list.
The electrician I called is on the Tesla recommended list and was also used by another member on this forum. Nonetheless on Monday, I will call some other electricians on the list.
And if I don't have to deal with wi-fi and browser set ups I will be happy. We are moving to a new home and not sure how strong the signal will be to the garage.

Thanks!
Full disclosure- I know nothing about this stuff! I will get some second opinions from different qualified electricians. In the meantime, I found this thread which has info on Generation 3 wall connectors not getting the love in Ontario: Tesla Engineers crapped the bed on the gen 3 wall connector.
No worries, these forums are a great place to get some information. Not sure which vehicle you have but I would suggest heading over to get Model Y charging subforum and post your question there. Lots of experienced people there can give better explanations. Specifically RockyH and JCanoe.

I don't agree with some of the comments in the thread linked but I agree that you should ask around.

The electrician I called is on the Tesla recommended list and was also used by another member on this forum. Nonetheless on Monday, I will call some other electricians on the list.
And if I don't have to deal with wi-fi and browser set ups I will be happy. We are moving to a new home and not sure how strong the signal will be to the garage.
I would definitely try a few others, specifically some that have installed the gen 3.

The gen3 doesn't need to be connected to your home WiFi to operate. It creates its own WiFi network that you connect to with your phone to commission it. Set it once and done.

Good luck !

Reactions: KevinT3141
I was surprised myself, by how many “Tesla approved“ electricians were not aware of how to set up a generation three wall connector, when I was looking to get mine done. I suspect that many of them were more familiar with the second generation wall connecter than the third. I did my own browser set up to the WC three, without a hitch. It is really simple.

You would be surprised how strong the Wi-Fi signal can get to your garage, notwithstanding you have concrete walls. Do you have that large? You would also have to consider adding repeaters to ensure that your network can the entire household.

I would avoid IVY and go directly with Gen3 Tesla WC, if budget allows and avoid the mobile charger configuration.

The gen3 WC now integrates with Tesla App so you can see in detail what power you draw including power that's not used for charging such as pre conditioning

IMO it sounds like the electrician has some sort of kick back from IVY/Grizzle
The Gen3 WC 100% can pass any inspection for home installations

As always get 2 - 3 quotes from licensed electrician

No worries, these forums are a great place to get some information. Not sure which vehicle you have but I would suggest heading over to get Model Y charging subforum and post your question there. Lots of experienced people there can give better explanations. Specifically RockyH and JCanoe.

I don't agree with some of the comments in the thread linked but I agree that you should ask around.
Model 3 RWD 2022 white- the people's t

I was surprised myself, by how many “Tesla approved“ electricians were not aware of how to set up a generation three wall connector, when I was looking to get mine done. I suspect that many of them were more familiar with the second generation wall connecter than the third. I did my own browser set up to the WC three, without a hitch. It is really simple.

You would be surprised how strong the Wi-Fi signal can get to your garage, notwithstanding you have concrete walls. Do you have that large? You would also have to consider adding repeaters to ensure that your network can the entire household.
Thanks again. I will check some other opinions from electricians.