Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink help - Auto open question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I set up the Homelink correctly with my Tesla and it opens and closes the garage fine. However, if the garage is already in open state prior to me approaching in front of my garage, Tesla auto close the garage instead of not doing anything since it's already been open by my wife's car or kids opened manually from inside the home. Has anyone have an idea or solution for programming this to work accurately? Or is this the way it should work? Thank you in advance for your help.

For it to not close an already open garage door the garage door opener would have to send an "I am already open" signal and the Tesla would have to not send an activation signal. Openers don't send an open or close signal, they send an activate signal, at least none of the openers I have ever used, maybe new ones do. They just cause the unit to drive. If it is driving one direction, it changes direction. If the fully open switch is made, it closes, if the closed switch is made, it opens.

If it is a common issue I would just disable the automatic feature.

Garage door openers do not have discrete codes. It is always a toggle. If the door is open it will close. If it is closed it will open. Sadly it has been this way since there were clickers mounted on your visor. I find myself canceling an open or close command many times. It is what it is.

This is why it has the ‘skip’ drop down. You are supposed to be able to see your door and tell it to not activate the door when it tells you it will do so in X feet if you don’t want it to for whatever reason (like it’s already open or you want to leave it open on departing, etc.).

Homelink is that dumb at this point.