Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Honest new car price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our business case for early adoption of a Model S was largely the ability to generate power from the sun. We create 25K km of free driving each year and that should continue for the next 30 years. Solar panels and a Tesla do make good justification even before you consider zero pollution. We also like the independence and freedom from oil company monopolies.

I wish Tesla would just list the price of the car instead of trying to be cute with the “savings”. If it’s a $92,000 car, it’s a $92,000 car. It isn’t magically an $82,750 car. Tesla is going to want a check for $92,000, so that lower number is just smoke.

Since they’ve cranked up the supercharger rates and they don’t include unlimited supercharging any more, those gas savings might not be quite so favorable. Besides Tesla has absolutely no idea how many miles I’ll drive, my local gas prices, and what gas mileage I’d get in the car I’d be driving if not the Tesla. So that gas savings number is utterly bogus, just a wild guess.

The $3750 is valid. Well, sort of. Well, not really. There’s sales tax paid on it. Figure about $300 or so (at 8% sales tax). They should probably list that number as $3450, that would be more honest. I know, Tesla doesn’t know what sales tax I pay. They could guess. It’s hard to guess worse than 0%.

But if we’re going to get real about what these cost, let’s add in some extra costs for insurance because Tesla can’t seem to get parts to repair facilities, because they are so expensive to fix that they’re often totaled when they should be repairable. And it’s an electric, many states gig us for and extra hundred or two each year because we’re not paying gas taxes. Let’s put that in too.

If they want to include what they see as price adjustments for ownership, that’s fine, but let’s be honest and realistically include all of them, otherwise let’s just simply list the selling price of the car.

I love my Tesla.

Not so much the bad numbers.
I love my S but when I was making the purchase last year it was hard to figure out just what the price was going to be. I got a price with fuel savings, rebate savings etc. and all I wanted to know was the bottom line. I knew that everyone was dealing with the same issue and had this been a conventional dealership I would not have purchased the car. Being an old guy and having never met a person in a car dealership that I could trust, this was a bit scary. Yes I could see what I thought the car would cost and I could come close on the taxes etc. but why go through all this when it would be so easy to clearly state the price? It was just uncomfortable. If you think this is a good way to buy a car, and you decide on a Mercedes,etc., please take your Mama with you.

Our business case for early adoption of a Model S was largely the ability to generate power from the sun. We create 25K km of free driving each year and that should continue for the next 30 years. Solar panels and a Tesla do make good justification even before you consider zero pollution. We also like the independence and freedom from oil company monopolies.
Then the price of solar panel installation should be factored in.
I guess electricity prices in Canada are higher, but calculation for Arizona at $0.06 per KW on EV plan says that by generating 25K km annually you're saving $300 which is about 1% of average solar panel setup.

We had a Feed in Tariff program that encouraged home installations of solar arrays on 20 year contract. They pay us for the electricity generated and we buy it back at lower TOU rates during the night. Converting the 25K km of free annual driving into premium fuel savings pays for the solar array quickly. In our case the solar installation was a DIY project using micro inverters so easy and at lower total cost because we provided the labour.

Even without a DIY project payback for the solar array using fuel costs saved makes a good case.

It may not be for everyone but if you have an EV adding solar generation can be effective. However, not everyone has a roof top, I get that.

Holy Moly, that's it ?
My one for 2012 MS P85 is higher than combined Accord + Venza it replaced. The agent blamed high repair cost as there are no 3rd party shops and aftermarket parts. Sounded believable. Although I guess some companies may be jacking up the premium because of the luxury segment (well, at least price-wise)

Yeah we have another vehicle and homeowners on the same policy but is was only like $8 more per month for the 3 vs the Elantra.

I love my S but when I was making the purchase last year it was hard to figure out just what the price was going to be. I got a price with fuel savings, rebate savings etc. and all I wanted to know was the bottom line. I knew that everyone was dealing with the same issue and had this been a conventional dealership I would not have purchased the car. Being an old guy and having never met a person in a car dealership that I could trust, this was a bit scary. Yes I could see what I thought the car would cost and I could come close on the taxes etc. but why go through all this when it would be so easy to clearly state the price? It was just uncomfortable. If you think this is a good way to buy a car, and you decide on a Mercedes,etc., please take your Mama with you.
Looked at the priceing last night and now it seems pretty straight forward and understandable.

jrwaters1

Once we’ve seen the page a few times we learn and we then all know to totally ignore the prominently displayed price, change the screen to cash price, and look to the bottom for the real price in gray. Here’s a screen cap from a few minutes ago. That “Select Your Car” section lists the base price as $75,750. Tesla won’t sell it to you for that, though. They’ve made up numbers, subtracted those bogus numbers from the real price, then display the artificially lowered price as if it were the real price. The true price doesn’t even appear on the page, just the bogus price.

I disagree with you, I don’t think it is “pretty straight forward and understandable”, I think it is just wrong. Tesla should be better than that.

E8483BCF-E7CA-48A0-BBC5-99C2773F0401.jpeg

Me too. I drive much more than fly now. Use super chargers 95% of the time; don’t have home charging but 98% of my mileage is from road trips. I walk to work.

I’ve driven 6000 miles+ in 3 months since buying the car. 4 months of ownership: 1 month was spent wrapping/ceramic coating and repair at SC for the ding the SC made.

Super fun to drive the car. Much better overall and a lot cheaper than flying. I have free SC as long as we own the car.

Yea, same here..i can't get enough of driving my M3P around..."when I'm in this car, I'm free!"

I look at the fuel savings and laugh, only because my savings are quite larger then the $4300 in six years they claim. with a commute of 75 miles a day and my truck averaging 11.5 mpg, my truck was costing me $5,300 a YEAR. that didn't include diesel fuel additives or oil/ fuel filter changes. Yes, I'm glad I got rid of it

I look at the fuel savings and laugh, only because my savings are quite larger then the $4300 in six years they claim. with a commute of 75 miles a day and my truck averaging 11.5 mpg, my truck was costing me $5,300 a YEAR. that didn't include diesel fuel additives or oil/ fuel filter changes. Yes, I'm glad I got rid of it
It doesn't say what Tesla you've got, but even if it's MX, well, it's not quite direct replacement.
To make it clear, absolute majority of EV owners at this point of time are making non-return investments into technology, and not saving money. Placing any EV against an ICE or hybrid equivalent will show huge economical superiority of the latter ones.
We like electric drive and we pay a good premium for it, that's normal. But let's be objective.