Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can someone in BC buy a Tesla in Ontario for 14k incentive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, Ontario (Canada) residents can get a massive $14,000 tax rebate when buying a Tesla.

I live in British Columbia. Unfortunately my local Gov't is in bed with dealerships and old legacy auto's and they've selectively targeted Tesla to exclude them from BC Electric Vehicle incentives.

My question is, what does it take to "become" a resident of Ontario. Do I simply rent an apartment, go to the local motor vehicle branch and apply for an Ontario driver's license? Has anyone done this or heard about someone doing it?

I can't speak for canada, but I know in the US that typically to become a resident of another state you need to have a home there and live there for more than 6 month of the year. Just having a second home in another state doesn't make you a resident if you only stay there for a short time during each year.

Also note that this will likely have tax implications. Again, I don't know how taxes work in canada, but again, in the US, once you become a resident of another state you need to pay income taxes in that state. And in some states you may wind up having to pay some taxes if you own a home in that state even if it is not your permanent residence. Additionally, some states give you a tax break on your primary residence. But once you become a resident of another state then that tax break goes away and your property taxes may go up.

I don't know how much of this carries over to canada, but there is definitely a lot to consider before you try something like this.