Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How does NEM work on EV2-A?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I find how PG&E (or MCE) credit the kWh I put onto the grid from solar, or Powerwall. or solar + Powerwall, at off-peak vs shoulder vs peak times?

i.e., If I supply a bunch of kWh to the grid at various price times (off peak, shoulder and peak), then in the same day, I take a different amount of kWh from the grid at various price times, how is the final usage calculated for billing purposes?

Sorry of this is spelled out somewhere, I couldn't find it!

(I'm on EV2-A, (with 6kW solar and 1 PW 2,0)

If you're asking just about the basics of NEM, there was a very similar question and thread about a month ago, the most concise explanations are towards the end of the thread:

Interaction of PG&E NEM-2 and EV2-A

The gist of it is that you get credited (or debited) in $ terms based on the rates in effect for that hour. If your home loads exceed production, i.e. pulling from the grid, you're charged in $ as any other customers. If your solar excess goes to the grid, then you're credited in $ - i.e. TOU rate ($/kwh) x kwh exported.

So if you typically generate excess during mid-day, you'll get the off-peak price for each kwh. If you then consume an extra kwh in the early evening, you'll pay the peak price for each kwh. So it's generally not a 1:1 offset these days.

That's NEM1 basics. If you're on NEM2, main difference is you lose about 2 cents of credit per kwh for excess, for what PG&E calls Non Bypassable Charges (NBC's). If you're just installing solar now, on NEM3, you get credited for excess on just a small fraction of the rate in effect (i.e. not worth just getting solar without batteries). PG&E rates are broken up into generation and distribution portions, per their rate sheets. Only difference with CA like MCE in the mix, is that PG&E generation portion is replaced with MCE price - usually just 1 to 2 cents less - but otherwise each version of NEM works the same.

Where can I find how PG&E (or MCE) credit the kWh I put onto the grid from solar, or Powerwall. or solar + Powerwall, at off-peak vs shoulder vs peak times?

i.e., If I supply a bunch of kWh to the grid at various price times (off peak, shoulder and peak), then in the same day, I take a different amount of kWh from the grid at various price times, how is the final usage calculated for billing purposes?

Sorry of this is spelled out somewhere, I couldn't find it!

(I'm on EV2-A, (with 6kW solar and 1 PW 2,0)
This is going to depend on if you or in NEM 2.0 versus NEM 3.0. The previous be reply is correct for NEM 2.0, but but NEM 3.0.

Thanks for the details Redhill_qik, I think I'm on NEM 2.0

I can't find anything on my PG&E account website describing what rate I'm on, maybe because I'm with MCE? But MCE doesn't appear to have an account signup option, can only register to receive the MCE newsletter, while PG&E account page gives pdf bills including the MCE part. What a mess.

NEM2MT "Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff" is written in my pdf bill, (found conveniently on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”)

The link below shows NEM 3.0 for installation after 14th April 2023, mine was 2019 so I guess it is grandfathered.

Thanks for the details Redhill_qik, I think I'm on NEM 2.0

I can't find anything on my PG&E account website describing what rate I'm on, maybe because I'm with MCE? But MCE doesn't appear to have an account signup option, can only register to receive the MCE newsletter, while PG&E account page gives pdf bills including the MCE part. What a mess.

NEM2MT "Net Energy Metering Multiple Tariff" is written in my pdf bill, (found conveniently on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”)

The link below shows NEM 3.0 for installation after 14th April 2023, mine was 2019 so I guess it is grandfathered.
The NEM2MT means NEM 2.0 and if your system was online before April 2023 then it is definitely NEM 2.0.

So basically, it is just a simple charge and credit settlement at the TOU rates when the import and exports occurred. Importing 100 kWh @ $0.50 Peak is a charge of $50.00 and exporting 200 kWh @ $0.25 Off-Peak is a credit of $50.00 resulting in a net settlement amount of $0.00.

You will also accumulate Non-Bypassable Charges, NBCs, of about $0.03/kWh which means the 100 kWh would result in $3.00 in NBCs.

Your generation is with MCE, a Community Choice Aggregator, so your billing will be split between there PG&E transmission+distribution amounts and the MCE generation amounts. Both use the same net settlement at your annual true-up, but the true-up months may be different. Also the NBCs only apply to the PG&E portion.

Since you have a Powerwall and a CCA your billing is very confusing. You will need to check your PG&E black-and-white bill to see how the PG&E portion is accumulating over the year. There is a sticky thread here for the annual true-up that you should read.

Last edited:
Reactions: inductive