Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant Grid Power Usage Despite plenty of Solar and/or Powerwall Power to cover home load

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gen 2 neurio does not stay on line reliably despite strong WiFi at the neurio, but it is enormously better than my prior gen 1 neurio. I will say that in my view neurios are very picky about being in the same 2.4GHz SSID with the TEG, as they connect via their MAC address. Also if your router tries to run a combined 2.4/5GHz single SSID, with or without "speed enhancement" (pushing devices to 5GHz if the signal is strong) the neurio is likely to become uncommunicative.

If you are running a 2.4GHz SSID with the neurio and gateway on the same net (nor repeaters), have you tried turning the neurio off for ten minutes or so and rebooting it?

All the best,

BG

Unfortunately I believe I have to have a W1 Neurio due to the dual 400A CT’s.

I asked them to replace the Neurio. They said they had the follow Tesla instruction. Now today they said they need to replace the Neurio at Tesla’s instruction and test. Ugh.

Reactions: BGbreeder
@Oz-X I hope that it works for you. It did for me 99.99% of the time. The Gateway needs to be configured for the new MAC address for the new neurio, and the new neurio will need to be put at an IP address reserved on your router. (The reserved IP address is vital.) If you reuse the old IP address, you should be OK, but if you don't reuse it, make sure the Gateway gets the new IP address as well.

All the best,

BG

Yes, tried rebooting the neurio after 15mins of no power to it.

Now I'm just waiting on the installer (AES) who says they're waiting on Tesla to provide a new Neurio W1 to replace mine. Crazy how long these guys are collectively drawing this out.

This system was installed over a year ago and I think only worked correctly for ~30 days in Oct last year.

Now I'm just waiting on the installer (AES) who says they're waiting on Tesla to provide a new Neurio W1 to replace mine. Crazy how long these guys are collectively drawing this out.

This system was installed over a year ago and I think only worked correctly for ~30 days in Oct last year.
My understanding is those are no longer available. Good luck that Tesla finds a set on a shelf somewhere.

My understanding is those are no longer available. Good luck that Tesla finds a set on a shelf somewhere.
When my neurio was replaced two years ago, the installers said that the installers had no more version 1, and that Tesla was moving to V2 for a variety of reasons. At the time, I was told that a neurio was a use once and dispose of device that could not be reprogrammed to a different install. (Is that true?) I some how doubt that there is a cache of NOS V1 neurios sitting in a closet somewhere...

When my neurio was replaced two years ago, the installers said that the installers had no more version 1, and that Tesla was moving to V2 for a variety of reasons. At the time, I was told that a neurio was a use once and dispose of device that could not be reprogrammed to a different install. (Is that true?) I some how doubt that there is a cache of NOS V1 neurios sitting in a closet somewhere...
I agree this lack of availability is what I heard as well. At that time we bought a good stock for our most important large jobs.

Some neurios do have a problem re-pairing, but there is a process to re-pair a neurio. For reasons I do not understand it does not always work. There may be an unrecoverable failure mode. It is supposed to accept new pairing requests for 1 minute after powerup, but doesn't always.

I agree this lack of availability is what I heard as well. At that time we bought a good stock for our most important large jobs.

Some neurios do have a problem re-pairing, but there is a process to re-pair a neurio. For reasons I do not understand it does not always work. There may be an unrecoverable failure mode. It is supposed to accept new pairing requests for 1 minute after powerup, but doesn't always.
Well we only tried three... TBH, I don't know if it is one of those complex handshake process things wherein you have to add a dummy to the gateway, delete the old one from the gateway, then power up the new neurio (then configure it to a new IP address, already reserved on the router to prevent conflicts), and then add the new neurio entry to the gateway. At the time, and purely from a networking perspective, the process seemed rather brittle. IIRC, the OS on the gateway was unable to clear all neurio entries, and I suspect that there are lots of places for an install to stumble, like not clearing and reserving IP addresses in the host router, as well as the various other handshakes, browser types, and lack of security needed to do the install.

I would say that V2 has been much, much, more reliable. V1 would fail to acquire an SSID with 4/5 bars at the neurio.

OTOH: I do think that having the neurio communicate directly with the gateway via the MAC address limits remote hacking considerably.

All the best,

BG

Finally I can close this issue!

Apparently the installer wired and configured the Neurio according to the published Tesla instructions. It took weeks of data sent to get Tesla to admit their instructions weren’t correct for my installation.

All it took was combining and wiring the Neurio CT‘s to the first two ports on the back of the Neurio and not using port three and four! Somehow using 3/4 we’re throwing off all the readings.

It took them over a year to make a 15 minute change to get my system working correctly! 😡

Apparently the installer wired and configured the Neurio according to the published Tesla instructions. It took weeks of data sent to get Tesla to admit their instructions weren’t correct for my installation.

All it took was combining and wiring the Neurio CT‘s to the first two ports on the back of the Neurio and not using port three and four! Somehow using 3/4 we’re throwing off all the readings.

It took them over a year to make a 15 minute change to get my system working correctly! 😡
Glad it was resolved eventually. I imagine that as the low-cost leader they will not be immediately responsive to these types of issues.

Amazing accomplishment! Next up? Cancelling Comcast/Xfinity? That'd put you 2/0 into superhero status!

That is a long time to go with issues, I can understand the frustration. Glad you got it sorted, and thank you for sharing your experience and resolution. It will definitely help someone else in the future.

Reactions: Oz-X
Not sure I agree with them being "the low cost leader" these days and "no being immediately responsive?" - IT TOOK OVER A YEAR from initial case opening.
Sure and in this case it seemed that the system was performing safely but not generating as much as it was supposed to be, so there was some financial loss.

If that financial loss is larger than what you saved by going with Tesla then I would also be upset. If you accept that the total price per lifetime kWh is still better than your other options then maybe it was still a good deal.

I agree that I would not be happy with a company who took so long to fix my issues either, I am just pointing out what you and other customers might give up to get that incredibly low price.

Good service has a cost and the large or small company you bought it from has to stay healthy to keep giving good service or the customer base has to modify their expectations around service for the price paid. With Tesla being so large and energy being a tiny portion of the business I don't think any single customer complaining has much effect. However future customers should buy with eyes wide open knowing what to expect.