Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How feasible it is to demand driving log data (Traction, Brake Presure, ABS, etc) from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My collegues' 2021 3SR was involved in a severe accident and his ride is TOTAled: it lost control at a moderate corner, on a wet, rural drive way and crash badly at a low voltage power pole. The only good new is his worst injury is a broken fibula bone, and mild concussion.
What should they expect if they demands a copy of log? Do they need to file subpoena?

What are you hoping to achieve with the data? Sounds like poor driving conditions were the main cause of the crash. I think he should just be thankful that he walked away with such minor injuries, submit to insurance, and move on.

It seems pretty transparent that your colleague is looking to put fault on the car rather than his own driving abilities or the weather.
I have not heard of Tesla releasing that kind of information, nor other car companies. That said, auto manufacturers obviously can and do use data to defends themselves when they see fit.

A subpoena would possibly work if a suit was filed. It could be a costly affair though and I would imagine that it is likely not to demonstrate fault on behalf of the vehicle beyond reasonable expectations. That could backfire as well and lead to needing pay for their legal fees.

I will say that driving the SR+ has been a lot of fun and has a lot more punch than I think a lot of people assume. With it being RWD, I also feel like that plays a role into sliding if you accelerate into a turn. I have been impressed at how well it adjusts to that so far, but in bad enough conditions (slippery/muddy/greasy) I could see that yielding pretty nasty results. This is my first RWD car, but I would assume that these are true of any RWD car, and certainly came up in looking into how it handles snowy conditions.

Glad to hear that they are relatively okay.

Do you think any of the safety claims by Tesla come into play in terms in reducing his injuries?

They should be able to retrieve most of what you are looking for themselves using the Tesla EDR kit: Event Data Recorder

Of course the cable kit costs $1,200. (Software is free.) You might be able to find someone that would let them borrow, or rent, a kit.

Insurance companies often have the kit and will pull data to see what happened.

You can see sample reports here: Tesla EDR Kit - Crash Data Group

They should be able to retrieve most of what you are looking for themselves using the Tesla EDR kit: Event Data Recorder

Of course the cable kit costs $1,200. (Software is free.) You might be able to find someone that would let them borrow, or rent, a kit.

Insurance companies often have the kit and will pull data to see what happened.

You can see sample reports here: Tesla EDR Kit - Crash Data Group

I had no idea this was a thing, love it!

It seems pretty transparent that your colleague is looking to put fault on the car rather than his own driving abilities or the weather.
I have not heard of Tesla releasing that kind of information, nor other car companies. That said, auto manufacturers obviously can and do use data to defends themselves when they see fit.

A subpoena would possibly work if a suit was filed. It could be a costly affair though and I would imagine that it is likely not to demonstrate fault on behalf of the vehicle beyond reasonable expectations. That could backfire as well and lead to needing pay for their legal fees.

I will say that driving the SR+ has been a lot of fun and has a lot more punch than I think a lot of people assume. With it being RWD, I also feel like that plays a role into sliding if you accelerate into a turn. I have been impressed at how well it adjusts to that so far, but in bad enough conditions (slippery/muddy/greasy) I could see that yielding pretty nasty results. This is my first RWD car, but I would assume that these are true of any RWD car, and certainly came up in looking into how it handles snowy conditions.

Glad to hear that they are relatively okay.

Do you think any of the safety claims by Tesla come into play in terms in reducing his injuries?
No. He is glad that Tesla's crash safety only broke a bone. It is the claim he need that data to deal with. (There are precedental case that Tesla owner intentional total their car, out of disgruntled feeling that Tesla adjust the car price after production cost are amortized)

• Informative
Reactions: captanzuelo