Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How good of a deal is Performance AWD for 50k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully placed an order for a P3D- for a car that is not in stock and needs to be built? Or is this only available for existing inventory?

I have wondered about this, as well, and think this is a test of sorts to gauge demand for the P3D- configuration.

We placed an order for an equivalently spec’d LR AWD car and received a 2 week target for delivery. I called my OA and he confirmed there were none in inventory in CA. The next day we flipped our order to a P3D- and he tracked down a VIN in Fremont then locked it into our order. I will pick up the car on Wednesday.

My speculation is there is a batch of these LR AWDs reserved for Performance orders, essentially to extract a premium from them and prioritized accordingly.

The front tires on my M3P+ get loose and wander a bit left and right under hard acceleration as the weight transfers to the rear. I am curious what you will experience with the 18s when you really get on it.

It was wet on the way home, so I only really opened it up twice. I didn't notice any wandering in the front tires. If anything, it seemed like the back end tried to get loose for a split second (like a RWD car).

I drove both my car and a M3P with the 20" wheels. Acceleration seemed the same on both. Handling may be a bit sharper on the 20" wheels. Ride was nice and smooth on both.

My car's window sticker lists it as a Model 3 Performance, then shows the 18" wheels in the options list. It has the red line under the dual motor badge and on the ID screen, as well as track mode under driving options.

It was wet on the way home, so I only really opened it up twice. I didn't notice any wandering in the front tires. If anything, it seemed like the back end tried to get loose for a split second (like a RWD car).

I drove both my car and a M3P with the 20" wheels. Acceleration seemed the same on both. Handling may be a bit sharper on the 20" wheels. Ride was nice and smooth on both.

My car's window sticker lists it as a Model 3 Performance, then shows the 18" wheels in the options list. It has the red line under the dual motor badge and on the ID screen, as well as track mode under driving options.

Congrats. I am still learning the car but but on more than one occasion I feel the front start to lose grip before the rear. I wonder how the front induction motor differs from the rear from a power perspective.

The traction control on these cars is very responsive. Great for traction but spoiler the fun if you are looking to spin the tires a little. :D