Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Does Tesla Operate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING: new cars depreciate.....

AA: The average new car will have a residual value of around 40% of its new price after three years (assuming 10,000 miles/year) or in other words will have lost around 60% of its value at an average of 20% per year.
20% a year is average you say, so you’d agree the 30% fall on the MY is 1.5x the norm?

What's the context for your chart? Average market price of what? Not disputing it, just curious what it relates to. Seems odd that it went up >5k in the first 6 months then down from there, so it doesn't look like a depreciation curve of a car bought in what appears to start Jan 2022.
I ordered my 2022 MYLR new Jan 13, 2022 and took delivery May 13, 2022. That is exactly the way my projected depreciation has looked so far. I don't really care, because I plan to leave it to one of the grand kids, not sell or trade it. If there is no financial transaction, then it hasn't actually affected me at all.

• Funny
Reactions: Js1977
I think even you know that depreciation doesn’t happen in a straight line
I provided a chart based on real data earlier that shows a virtually straight line of depreciation for the last 20 months and continuing to do so, so in this case it appears to be following exactly that, unless you have better evidence. If the question was "whats the typical derpeciation in the car market" then you'd get a different answer from me, but that wasn't the question or point.

I think we've lost the the thread of the discussion. The point made was as Tesla own the demo centres etc there is greater transparency in pricing and the practices of the old school dealerships don't happen, and thats only true in part, Tesla do still undertake some of the old practices like prereg cars, here's an example registered only 2 days before the end of Q3 and still with only 10 miles on the clock:

The Tesla approach is not without it's consequences, not all of them intuitive, and depreciation on the back of proce cuts as opposed to increasing discounts or incentives is another in my opinion. And of course Tesla use incentives too, like low rate finance at times, and for all we know better part ex offers that aren;t visible, just like every other dealer. There certainly seems to be volatility in what they offer.

There is no question Tesla, like everyone else, uses an array of methods to encourage sales. It is a business.

The pre-registration of cars is, in my opinion, unusual for Tesla but does happen. They have no independent dealer trying to artificially boost sales figures and I'm pretty certain they don't pay sales commissions. Having bought two only, but both times the advisor I was with in the showrooms told me that placing my orders online was the best way and they encouraged me to do it that way when I got home. Seems odd to push off a potential commission both times?

Pre-registration doesn't achieve much for them. They are required to account for sales using US GAAP. A vehicle pre-registration does not get booked as a car sold. Perhaps sometimes a buyer backs out before collecting a car or financing falls through at the last minute? There are many possible explanations. Cooking sales figures seems an unlikely one to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.