Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much does a (semi-)self-driving car have to communicate to build up trust with a driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been driving my Model 3 for a while now and I love the Autopilot. As a machine learning guy, I'm also intrigued by how the car is communicating what it perceives and how much information is given to the driver. My feeling is that in many cases, the information is not directly necessary for the driver to act, often the car shows what it sees to build up trust. I just wrote an article at Medium, if you're interested: Social competence of self-driving cars
What are your most striking experiences with the car showing its intelligence?

I want to be able to turn off all that garbage and replace it with the map. I'm not interested in knowing all the different things it thinks are traffic cones.
Or that my mountain bike looks likes a person running behind me at 53mph. Communicating through the steering wheel makes much more sense for when you're driving the car. Having indicators in the mirrors would be nice. A heads up display would make much more sense than the center screen for communicating visual information while you're driving.
I bet people riding in the Waymo robotaxis think the display is cool for a few minutes but quickly go back to looking at their phones.
1624231008218.png

Reactions: MitchMitch