Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much of a difference does AWD make - Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a MR RWD Model 3 next door in PA and it really comes down to cost. EAP was most important to me so I went barebones with everything else and got a spare set of winter wheels/tires from Tesla as I plan to replace it with an X in 2-3 years. So far through two or three snowstorms the car has been fantastic. Obviously I try to stay off the roads as much as possible when it snows, but driving through a few inches of snow, slush and light coatings of ice haven't been a problem.

I would recommend, at a minimum, getting the LR RWD if that's an option. Cold weather definitely kills the range and if your battery isn't warmed up before you get to the supercharger prepare to suffer through slower charging speeds. If you're going to keep the car for 3+ years I would spring for the AWD, I'd value it at $3-$4k and with a set of snow tires I imagine it would be amazing in all sorts of weather.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Its between getting an LR RWD for $51k and getting the LR AWD for $55k..The range definitely matters to me, so it has be LR

I own a MR RWD Model 3 next door in PA and it really comes down to cost. EAP was most important to me so I went barebones with everything else and got a spare set of winter wheels/tires from Tesla as I plan to replace it with an X in 2-3 years. So far through two or three snowstorms the car has been fantastic. Obviously I try to stay off the roads as much as possible when it snows, but driving through a few inches of snow, slush and light coatings of ice haven't been a problem.

I would recommend, at a minimum, getting the LR RWD if that's an option. Cold weather definitely kills the range and if your battery isn't warmed up before you get to the supercharger prepare to suffer through slower charging speeds. If you're going to keep the car for 3+ years I would spring for the AWD, I'd value it at $3-$4k and with a set of snow tires I imagine it would be amazing in all sorts of weather.

We have both RWD and AWD.

The AWD is terrific in snow and ice, even without winter tires, as I have recently posted.

However, RWD Model 3 gets noticeably longer range. (Both are listed as 310, but actual EPA-cycle testing results were 334 and 308, respectively.)

I’ve driven the RWD on snow/ice, and it is not bad, if you understand its limitations. Tesla traction control is quite good. However, if you get the car stuck somewhere it shouldn’t be, and your rear wheels don’t have traction, there you’ll be ...

We have a long range RWD and definitely has lower electricity consumption for the same distance. Based on some measurement I have did with comparative usage I think, without any evidence, Tesla already software limiting the LR RWD battery charge. Which I don't mind because the battery will last more as they call the actual 80% to 100%.

I live in NJ and own LR RWD. It has been great in rain and a little snow but I have been trying to keep off the road in snow when possible just to be safe. Range has been less than ideal in winter to say the least, so it depends on your preference, but for the cost savings and range advantage over AWD, the RWD should be all you need.

I live in NJ and own LR RWD. It has been great in rain and a little snow but I have been trying to keep off the road in snow when possible just to be safe. Range has been less than ideal in winter to say the least, so it depends on your preference, but for the cost savings and range advantage over AWD, the RWD should be all you need.

I'm glad I did not pull the trigger when I asked the question...I'm getting the LR RWD..I went to the Alliant website to apply for a loan, only to find out they don't give loans in NJ :(