Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How much range do 19s add on a P90DL + battery conditioning !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

easyev

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2023
Toronto
Everyone I was looking back at rated range numbers of my newly acquired 2016 P90 DL and I’m not seeing differences between the 19s and 21s like they do now.

On my plan, it was about a 34 km difference, so I’m wondering what it would be on this car?

On my second charge I got 394 and it’s set up with 21s I guess I could go to the configuration and switch it to 19 and see what it reports? I can’t check at the moment as I’m trying a procedure to better balance the cells. I’ve already added 9 km since I’ve got it. It’s now 394 up from 385 with a little TLC

Now I’m trying this procedure. What do you think of it? I’ve already run it down to 5%. It was a little scary coming home! Now letting it sit at its low SOC.

For a more accurate idea of how much capacity loss your battery has, I would suggest doing the following:

1. Run the battery down below 10% SOC - around 5% is ideal.

2. This is important: Let the vehicle sit at this low state of charge for at least 12 hours.

3. Using a level 2 charger, charge the car to 100%. When it reaches 100%, let it sit on the charger for at least another 5 hours.

This will allow the pack to balance as much as possible and will let the BMS update its algorithm. At this point, the range displayed on your screen should be the most accurate representation of the battery's state of health. Some folks will see a small range bump after doing this procedure.

Not sure where you found this balancing procedure. If it was written for something like a Model 3/Y or possible a newer S/X, then not fully reflective of what's needed. The pack in your vintage of MS vs. a Model 3/Y are different in terms of how the cells balance, with the Model S not needing as long for the cells to balance. I'm less concerned about the time letting the pack sit at low SOC as I am letting it sit at high SOC. I personally would not suggest letting the car sit that long fully charged. There is also something about intentionally running the pack to very low SOC when it's not necessary. The best real world collection of user battery capacity over time data found that one of the bigger correlations to increased pack degradation was frequency of running the pack to low SOC, below 10%. That was a much stronger factor than frequency of supercharging or charging to 100%.

What I found over 7.5 years ownership of my mid-2016 MS 90D is that regularly taking the car on road trips, such that the pack would be cycled between say 20%-80% or 90% was sufficient for keeping the pack balanced. The few times I would charge to 100% I rarely would see any substantial change in the displayed RM at a given SOC. Were a few times I'd see a temporary bump of a few miles, but just normally letting the pack cycle through a range of battery SOC where the car sits/sleeps for a few hours is sufficient. That's where I actually went away from charging daily, but would charge to about 80% and then not recharge again until I was down to somewhere between 40-50%.

I'd have to do a lot of digging to see what an official number was for 19s vs 21s. It was hard to find that anywhere other than in the configurator. I don't recall it being more than a couple percent. The bigger difference was between a D and a P model.

Enjoy your car.

Reactions: easyev
Not sure where you found this balancing procedure. If it was written for something like a Model 3/Y or possible a newer S/X, then not fully reflective of what's needed. The pack in your vintage of MS vs. a Model 3/Y are different in terms of how the cells balance, with the Model S not needing as long for the cells to balance. I'm less concerned about the time letting the pack sit at low SOC as I am letting it sit at high SOC. I personally would not suggest letting the car sit that long fully charged. There is also something about intentionally running the pack to very low SOC when it's not necessary. The best real world collection of user battery capacity over time data found that one of the bigger correlations to increased pack degradation was frequency of running the pack to low SOC, below 10%. That was a much stronger factor than frequency of supercharging or charging to 100%.

What I found over 7.5 years ownership of my mid-2016 MS 90D is that regularly taking the car on road trips, such that the pack would be cycled between say 20%-80% or 90% was sufficient for keeping the pack balanced. The few times I would charge to 100% I rarely would see any substantial change in the displayed RM at a given SOC. Were a few times I'd see a temporary bump of a few miles, but just normally letting the pack cycle through a range of battery SOC where the car sits/sleeps for a few hours is sufficient. That's where I actually went away from charging daily, but would charge to about 80% and then not recharge again until I was down to somewhere between 40-50%.

I'd have to do a lot of digging to see what an official number was for 19s vs 21s. It was hard to find that anywhere other than in the configurator. I don't recall it being more than a couple percent. The bigger difference was between a D and a P model.

Enjoy your car.
Thank your help in me acquiring this, re answering my
q’s about SCing. I was happy to see this in my app when it added in about three minutes after uploading the required documentation:
IMG_4297.jpeg

I really enjoy many things about the car, and the four nicest ones (to me) are the acceleration, sunroof, and FUSC and the colour. Even though the tires are a little old, it hangs on really well in the corners and handles beautifully.

I spent the entire day driving the expanse of my city and juiced up a couple of times trying to get the right SOC when I got home. I ended up at 15 km!

Never mind digging about the 21s when it finishes charging. I’m going to switch the wheel configuration to 19 and see what it says. I think it’s going to be closer to the rated range of the car, maybe (hopefully) in the 420ish range on 19 setting. Let’s see! I will report back with the number…last time it was 394 on 21 setting.

I’ve got some little electrical and mechanical issues with the car that I need to iron out. I will start a new thread and reply to another one.

I'm trying to understand what you are looking for, sounds like you are wanting your display to change it's rated range rather than exploring the real world difference 19 vs. 21?

My range numbers as displayed are higher than I get real world, so I pay little attention to them, generally only look at % charge. If there's a way to make my display more accurately reflect the real range I'm certainly interested. I seem to get around 220 miles (354 km) though I haven't pushed it to find the real number and as I've driven it more (I've only owned for a few months) I'm learning how to extend range a bit. I'm on 19's.

Reactions: easyev
I'm trying to understand what you are looking for, sounds like you are wanting your display to change it's rated range rather than exploring the real world difference 19 vs. 21?

My range numbers as displayed are higher than I get real world, so I pay little attention to them, generally only look at % charge. If there's a way to make my display more accurately reflect the real range I'm certainly interested. I seem to get around 220 miles (354 km) though I haven't pushed it to find the real number and as I've driven it more (I've only owned for a few months) I'm learning how to extend range a bit. I'm on 19's.
Yes, the displayed number on the driver’s screen. When I changed the wheels on my Plaid from a 21s to a 19s indicated range went from 588 to 622. I got close to rated range while in chill mode, 550km on the 21s on a road trip to Rhode Island. :) My wife gets better than rated range. I don’t have to tell you it’s all about your right foot…and hilly terrain or not.

I've run Chill a few times, but seems like a moderate right foot in Sport mode gives the same while still having the power when I want it. The biggest factor from my first weeks to now was I'm in the habit of running 76-82 mph on the highway, and dropping that to 70-74 seems to make a pretty big difference. I realize driving 65 would be even better but I just don't have that in me.

No wonder you don’t get rated range! Rated range is at typical high speeds or slower. Here in Canada most of our highway speeds are 100 km/h. If I moved to the right hand lane, turn auto pilot on at 100 or even 110 I will get almost exactly rated range rate of consumption 192 W hours per kilometre. My wife regularly sees 150 to 172 but she’s very gentle on the accelerator and doesn’t speed.

Driving it the way I like to drive it I generally get 250 W hours per kilometer in L+ it’s 300+Wh/km which translates to 300KM max range but more like 270km if I were to be honest, and those are all nice days.