Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Clear Personal Info on my M3 Before Posting for Sale?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is the place to post this?? Please advise if I should be posting elsewhere - thanks!

Hubby and I are going down to one vehicle, one Tesla. After a "heated discussion," we've decided to keep our 2014 MS (multiple reasons!) and part with our 2018 M3. As post title says, we're trying to figure out how to clear out our personal stuff and restore factory settings prior to selling? And then....do we need to reach out to Tesla after the sale to have it removed from our profile with them?

Seeking some simple "For Dummies" answers - thanks a million!

You remove the car from your account by using the Remove this car from your account option. You don't need to call Tesla. You will need an email address and name of the buyer. From the car, you can do the factory reset option. I did this on the day of sale.
Oh wow! That's way-way less involved than we thought! Factory reset will remove your phone stuff, your individual driver settings, Home Link......all of it then? Sounds easy-peasy! Thanks!

I haven't tested this lately, but a couple of years ago on my 2013 Model S, even once it was reset, it could still open my garage door. Obviously the name was gone, but I could just pull up in front of the house and configure the garage door opener and the garage would open. The rolling code was still recognized by the opener. Obviously configuring a new garage opener isn't a single click, as you have to take a remote to the front of the car and transmit a signal.

I didn't try this but I will speculate that if I:
Wiped the car
Took a remote that isn't programmed to my opener, but matches it, and used that to set up the opener built into the car
It would open the door without any further steps

My opener is the type where you put it into programming mode, push the remote button until the light blinks and that is it. I only ever did this once, but set up the opener quite a few times on that car.

If you are worried about future owners of the car using that car to open your garage door, then my advice is to wipe all garage remotes from the opener and set them all up each time you get rid of a car with Homelink on it. This is a pretty paranoid thing to be worried about, but if your paranoid, then feel free to worry.

I have not validated that this is possible, however it happened after wiping the car on several occasions. Those wipes were done during maintenance, so there might be some difference from their wipe to the one we do. Also there might be differences in hardware between the 2013 Model S and your car.