Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to download maps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to try out the new autopilot navigation but it won’t let me activate it till I get the newest version of maps. I was able to connect the car to my WiFi. Will the maps automatically download or do I have to accept something??

I live in an apartment complex. My garage does not get Wifi. I just parked outside in the general area where my apartment Wifi reaches. It has been quite a while since I have connected to Wifi. If i have to drive today and disconnect, will the maps resume downloading from where it left off, assuming that they are downloading, Or should I just not plan to drive today??

I live in an apartment complex. My garage does not get Wifi. I just parked outside in the general area where my apartment Wifi reaches. It has been quite a while since I have connected to Wifi. If i have to drive today and disconnect, will the maps resume downloading from where it left off, assuming that they are downloading, Or should I just not plan to drive today??

If you never had any update on the maps... the initial one was really really big if I remember right. I think it was like over 6 GB. It took 2 or 3 days for me last year to get the updates at my house. I think they send the updates in chunks... can't remember exactly how many days.. could be even over a week. I got them last year around Sept or Oct.

So can I drive the car or do I have to leave it connected to my WiFi for the downloads to take place?? I guess the question is that if the download is interrupted, will it restart all over again when reconnected??

The downloads resume when you have connectivity via wifi. The big downloads are required to download over wifi, the small ones come over ATT.

If you have a good mobile plan, use your cell hotspot to download. Maybe you can park in a Starbux parking lot and use their wifi?

You do not have to have maps to drive the car. Just don't get lost. :)

Worst case - you may need to go to a Service Center and have them do the download. We had this issue with one of our vehicles, and it took them several hours at the Service Center to get the AP software and map update to install.