Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to route ethernet along the outside wall to gateway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added an ethernet cable between my Gateway 2 and a local hub. I already have two Zigbee black boxes from Tesla (pictured).
The first one came with my original 11 panel system and the second from a second set of 12 panels and a PW.

Does my newly installed ethernet cable make my Zigbee boxes redundant such that I can remove them?

Note: I also added 3 12v fans to the top of my SolerEdge inverter as the garage can get hot in the summer. The fans pull room air up through the bottom of the heat sink and exhausts it out the top. Drops the air temps 10 degrees or so. The fans are on a timer to run during the hot part of summer days.

Thanks.

EDIT: The white box on the SolarCity inverter is a Wyze camera to monitor realtime solar generation since the Tesla app is not always real time.
EDIT: Added photo of ethernet Female/Female feedthrough installed on lower right side back knockout of Gateway 2. From Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpeg
    IMG_0927.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0930.jpeg
    IMG_0930.jpeg
    384.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I added an ethernet cable between my Gateway 2 and a local hub. I already have two Zigbee black boxes from Tesla (pictured).
The first one came with my original 11 panel system and the second from a second set of 12 panels and a PW.

Does my newly installed ethernet cable make my Zigbee boxes redundant such that I can remove them?

Note: I also added 3 12v fans to the top of my SolerEdge inverter as the garage can get hot in the summer. The fans pull room air up through the bottom of the heat sink and exhausts it out the top. Drops the air temps 10 degrees or so. The fans are on a timer to run during the hot part of summer days.

Thanks.

EDIT: The white box on the SolarCity inverter is a Wyze camera to monitor realtime solar generation since the Tesla app is not always real time.
EDIT: Added photo of ethernet Female/Female feedthrough installed on lower right side back knockout of Gateway 2. From Amazon.
Nice!

FWIW: You might look into a STC1-000 type controller for your fans as an inexpensive way to boost the cooling based on temperature rather than time of day.

All the best,

BG

Thanks. I think I have an old PID controller somewhere.
I was hoping to get feedback if my ZigBee boxes are redundant after adding the Ethernet cable.
I believe that if both of your solar systems are fed into the gateway the ZigBee boxes should no longer be needed. My understanding is the ZigBee boxes were originally used to send the inverter data to Tesla to monitor solar generation. I have a third-party-installed solar system hooked to a Tesla-installed two-Powerwall (TEG 1) system and don't have the ZigBee boxes. My TEG is connected to the internet using the Ethernet port. Solar generation is measured using the Neurio in my Gateway so no communication from the inverter is necessary.

I believe that if both of your solar systems are fed into the gateway the ZigBee boxes should no longer be needed. My understanding is the ZigBee boxes were originally used to send the inverter data to Tesla to monitor solar generation. I have a third-party-installed solar system hooked to a Tesla-installed two-Powerwall (TEG 1) system and don't have the ZigBee boxes. My TEG is connected to the internet using the Ethernet port. Solar generation is measured using the Neurio in my Gateway so no communication from the inverter is necessary.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but couldn't find a definitive answer. I will disconnect the ZigBee boxes and see if Tesla can tell they are not there.