Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to run cables through firewall of a 2022 Tesla model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any reason why the above video is unavailable, because I could use it.. I have a radar-less ultrasound-less 2023 Model 3 and I need to to run power and camera wires for the Hansshow 10.25 inch Tesla instrument display with the camera option, but I cannot get the wires through the firewall. I have reviewed all the available videos about fixing this problem, but almost all deal with older Model 3's which had unused grommets and plugs. The only grommet on the passenger side firewall is full of a very large bundle of wires. I have viewed one video demonstrating how to run wires through the firewall of a current Model 3 by pushing the edge of the aforementioned grommet (with the zillion wires) to the side and snaking the wire between the large hole in the metal firewall and the grommet. He stated that it was easy to perform this task, but it bothered me that you would have an insulated power wire pushed against a hole cut out for the grommet. Usually when these holes are punched out in the metal, they depend on a heavy rubber/neoprene grommet to prevent the eventual short circuit when the vibrating metal hole cuts into the insulated wire. I tried to get a screwdriver through the side of the grommet hole, but unfortunately, I could never see the other end of the screwdriver, because there appears to be a second wall within the current Model 3 with a preformed rubber sheet covering on the other side of the grommet. Other people have proposed pushing a Phillips Head screwdriver through the wire-filled grommet, taking care not to be too close to the edge, but trying not to be too close to the wire bundle. I'm sure that doesn't sound so easy. Try and explain that to the Tesla service associate when you bring your car in with a cut wire.
So, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Again, I have already viewed all the available videos, and as far as I can see they aren't applicable.

Any reason why the above video is unavailable, because I could use it.. I have a radar-less ultrasound-less 2023 Model 3 and I need to to run power and camera wires for the Hansshow 10.25 inch Tesla instrument display with the camera option, but I cannot get the wires through the firewall. I have reviewed all the available videos about fixing this problem, but almost all deal with older Model 3's which had unused grommets and plugs. The only grommet on the passenger side firewall is full of a very large bundle of wires. I have viewed one video demonstrating how to run wires through the firewall of a current Model 3 by pushing the edge of the aforementioned grommet (with the zillion wires) to the side and snaking the wire between the large hole in the metal firewall and the grommet. He stated that it was easy to perform this task, but it bothered me that you would have an insulated power wire pushed against a hole cut out for the grommet. Usually when these holes are punched out in the metal, they depend on a heavy rubber/neoprene grommet to prevent the eventual short circuit when the vibrating metal hole cuts into the insulated wire. I tried to get a screwdriver through the side of the grommet hole, but unfortunately, I could never see the other end of the screwdriver, because there appears to be a second wall within the current Model 3 with a preformed rubber sheet covering on the other side of the grommet. Other people have proposed pushing a Phillips Head screwdriver through the wire-filled grommet, taking care not to be too close to the edge, but trying not to be too close to the wire bundle. I'm sure that doesn't sound so easy. Try and explain that to the Tesla service associate when you bring your car in with a cut wire.
So, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Again, I have already viewed all the available videos, and as far as I can see they aren't applicable.
I’m looking to buy one too. I also have a 2023 M3P. Did you happen to figure it out? Any tips and trick would be appreciated.

This is an old post, but I eventually passed a wire through one of the "nipples" on the Driver's side large rubber grommet, thereby staying away from the OEM factory wires. As I stated in another post, on the M3, the wire conduit is rather hidden on passenger side, compared to the driver's side, but it gave me the excuse to buy one of the newer articulating borescopes on Amazon. I would advise to try not to remove the airbags to get a better view of the grommet. The airbag removal requires extraction of the T-10 external Torx screws which are installed with the permanent Thread Lock adhesive. Also required is an external T-10 Torx socket, which very few of us have. The cheaper Chinese Torx sockets tear up the the External Torx screw head. The only decent external Torx head sockets are from Germany. Also, I "poked" a hole through the "nipple" as opposed to cutting off the head of the nipple as shown in the Hansshow video. The grommet is intended to be a water barrier, so I would advise the "poke through" and heavily lubricate the video cable and connector with silicone grease. And I would advise tapering the junctions between the connectors and wires with electrical tape so the grommet is not dislodged during the "pull through" of the video cable connector.

Reactions: orangejooze