Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to validate a used MX from a non-Tesla dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy this one: 2017 Tesla Model X - VIN: 5YJXCDE21HF043508

My concerns are that it's from an Audi dealer. It already had two owners. My concern is that I could be buying a lemon. I understand that Tesla is not going to do a pre-purchase quality inspection for me. So what's the best way? Are there any 3rd party independent mechanics (in Massachusetts) who could do it? Should I just rely on the dealer's warranty?

I bought a new Tesla M3 in 2018, but I'm hardly an expert in electric (or gas cars).

Thanks,
Jay

It appears that that Model X was sold by Tesla last year for $63,400 as a used car. So the asking price now a year later of $69,289 seems odd. They probably took it in on a trade and overpaid.

upload_2020-6-16_11-14-55.png

The good news is that if it was sold through Tesla's used program, it has the 4-year, 50,000 mile pre-owned limited warranty, so that would be good through mid-2023 and 83k miles. But you'd have to confirm that with Tesla.

In case you need, here are all the options for that car so you can check against what the Audi dealer is claiming:

upload_2020-6-16_11-15-20.png