Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Former Leaf owner, new to Tesla - is this a good deal on a used 2018 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a former 2018 Leaf owner (we loved it, but it was totaled in a recent wreck). We were looking at another Leaf but saw this used 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range on the lot for $21k ($24k after fees) at 39,800 miles. I test drove it and loved it, but the Carfax scared me a little bit. While it only had 1 owner, the dealer said (based on the carfax) that the owner apparently took advantage of a buyback/lemon law thing, but said because it was CA it could have been for anything and Tesla had to take it buy it back regardless. That could be true but didn't really help my decision. Seeing "lemon" on a carfax screams "run" to me but what's your opinion on this? Other than that, do you think this is a good deal? I was told this does qualify for the $4k EV tax credit thing (after the purchase so that's a plus). What other "costs" do I have to look forward to down the road with this thing if I decide to keep it?

Attached is the carfax report.

Thanks in advance.

(On a side note, I do have to credit the salesperson though - he was very chill about it all and handed me the Carfax after I came back from test driving it, so I didn't even have to ask for it, and he didn't try to push the sale or other shady tactics to keep me from leaving. I have had completely different experiences with other car sales places.)

Attachments

• IMG20240326180810.jpg
    IMG20240326180810.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20240326180829.jpg
    IMG20240326180829.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG20240326180847.jpg
    IMG20240326180847.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 6
While it only had 1 owner, the dealer said (based on the carfax) that the owner apparently took advantage of a buyback/lemon law thing, but said because it was CA it could have been for anything and Tesla had to take it buy it back regardless. That could be true but didn't really help my decision. Seeing "lemon" on a carfax screams "run" to me but what's your opinion on this?

The salesperson may have been chill but My risk tolerance doesnt let me down play "lemon / buyback". There are all sorts of reasons that someone might pursue that. NONE of them mean the car was no problems whatsoever. I would suggest to keep looking, you should find another car around that price if thats what you are looking for.

Maybe not that combination of lack of miles and price, but unless you are handy and can work on the car yourself, you should not be considering a lemon / buyback branded vehicle. People for whom thats the right class of vehicle already know it is the right class of vehicle for them. If you are asking about it, it means it isnt the right type of vehicle for you (lemon / buyback).

Hertz has model 3s in the low 20s or so, I think. I would look there.

Reactions: davewill
I have a 2018 model 3 Long Range All wheel drive that I bought new in 2018. It has 95,000 miles on it with no significant problems.
The 2018 Long Range came out before the AWD version, during the production hell ramp up.
I don't understand how a vehicle that was owned for over 5 years and has 39,800 miles on it can qualify for a lemon buy back. It seems to me that if there was a problem that was covered by a lemon law it would have happened well before the 5 years and 39,000 miles.
You might ask the dealer if you could take it to a Tesla Service Center and have it checked out - under 40,000 miles it should still be under warranty so the check up should not cost much. You should also be able to see its service record from Tesla, that would tell you what issues the previous owner had.
As a Leaf owner you know that there isn't much that can go wrong with an EV.