Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hit my head a lot on the trunk hatch latch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was forced to lower the range of the hatch because of overhead sprinkler pipes in our underground garage. The evil hatch latch in the middle attacks me 2 x week since. I am usually peacefully minding my business rifling through my groceries bending in and out the trunk when out of nowhere the latch clobbers my skull which is bereft of hair. It hits me exactly at the same spot every single time. That bloody thing hangs down in the middle like a guillotine waiting me to get comfortable unloading eggs and things then boom. I hate it passionately. Please, for the love of God, rework that closing mechanism so that future tall bald farts like me don't risk a lobotomy every time we open the trunk.

It seems that because of the low angle, the break mechanism could not handle the weight of the door.
Can you put a stick to avoid the door failing on you.

Otherwise, in general I put my groceries on top of my back seat, because I find it more easy than opening the rear hatch.
Also I have some seat covers, and I put a black towel on top of the itemsto hide them from the outside.

I was forced to lower the range of the hatch because of overhead sprinkler pipes in our underground garage. The evil hatch latch in the middle attacks me 2 x week since. I am usually peacefully minding my business rifling through my groceries bending in and out the trunk when out of nowhere the latch clobbers my skull which is bereft of hair. It hits me exactly at the same spot every single time. That bloody thing hangs down in the middle like a guillotine waiting me to get comfortable unloading eggs and things then boom. I hate it passionately. Please, for the love of God, rework that closing mechanism so that future tall bald farts like me don't risk a lobotomy every time we open the trunk.

but-did-you-die--1140x570.jpg

It seems that because of the low angle, the break mechanism could not handle the weight of the door.

Otherwise, in general I put my groceries on top of my back seat, because I find it more easy than opening the rear hatch.
Also I have some seat covers, and I put a black towel on top of the itemsto hide them from the outside.
I don’t think the hatch is lowering/dropping on the OP. It’s just that he set the opening height lower to avoid striking an overhead object. The protruding latch on the raised hatch is what he is hitting his head on. I have the same issue for the same reason, and I smack my head on that damn thing every once in awhile too.

I don’t think the hatch is lowering/dropping on the OP. It’s just that he set the opening height lower to avoid striking an overhead object. The protruding latch on the raised hatch is what he is hitting his head on. I have the same issue for the same reason, and I smack my head on that damn thing every once in awhile too.

I see, in fact there should be something like a plastic cover to prevent
someone to get hit by the mechanism, especially when going backward.

I had similar bad experiences hitting my head against something,
but I was lucky that I was wearing a baseball cap.

Last time was inside the SF CalTrain commuter train with two floors,
and I hit the lower ceiling where a line of bolts were waiting
for leaving a print on some one head.

Caltrain Inside Car 2.jpg

Last edited:
I see, in fact there should be something like a plastic cover to prevent
someone to get hit by the mechanism, especially when going backward.

I had similar bad experiences hitting my head against something,
but I was lucky that I was wearing a baseball cap.

Last time was inside the SF CalTrain commuter train with two floors,
and I hit the lower ceiling where a line of bolts were waiting
for leaving a print on some one head.

View attachment 899902
A plastic cover wouldn’t work since the latch will fail to engage when closing the hatch.

Reactions: laservet

i do the same.

i use the backseat over the trunk for almost 100% of the time for groceries or shopping bags.

do that with all the cars i've owned.

trunk is only used if i make multiple stops, but that usually is not the case for me.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I've hit mine a time or two myself and my Yankees cap usually blunts the impact :cool: . The way my garage is organized I need to have it lower so it doesn't clip the garage door. Too bad we couldn't make the travel location specific like the locks so it goes up higher when not parked at home! But then I'd still stay low every time to be safe I'm sure so oh well...

Place the groceries in the frunk storage bin; problem solved.

I realise that I never used my frunk, except when I travel to put some extra luggages.

How do you open the frunk then, you need to use your phone App?

This is somethink not to easy when you have some groceries and you phone in your pocket,​
but I guess it's just a matter to get used to.​

I realise that I never used my frunk, except when I travel to put some extra luggages.

How do you open the frunk then, you need to use your phone App?

This is somethink not to easy when you have some groceries and you phone in your pocket,​
but I guess it's just a matter to get used to.​
Yes, it is inconvenient that you have to use the app or touch the screen inside the Tesla Model Y. The Tessie watch app, also Watch App for Tesla enable you open the frunk. I am hoping Tesla releases a native Tesla app for the Apple Watch.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sambub
Yes, it is inconvenient that you have to use the app or touch the screen inside the Tesla Model Y. The Tessie watch app, also Watch App for Tesla enable you open the frunk. I am hoping Tesla releases a native Tesla app for the Apple Watch.

A 'knock' sensor to open the frunk, like for the Aptera, would be very practical:

...but if your Tesla was a rockin' you wouldn't want to go a knockin' ;)
Now I get your choice of profile photo!

And it gives me an idea: Tesla could add magnets and coils to create regen shock absorbers. Charge the battery as the car bounces due to rough roads or - well - ah - robust occupant activity...

"Oh look Debbie, we've been parked out here by the lake since midnight and we played the radio for so long that the battery's almost dead! We need a way to charge it up so I can get you home... I guess there's only one thing we can do..."