Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Car Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lynnpt2001

Cookie Monster MX & M3
Sep 9, 2015
Greencastle PA
Just completed a 600 mile road trip to Virginia Tech, same trip we did a month ago in the model X. Took our sons Ice car this time. I must say driving his car in the mountains versus the Tesla, always having to have your foot on the brakes to slow down, it's so stress free not having auto pilot on the hundreds of highway miles, having to go out first thing and start the car to warm up the inside, knowing that I was helping to cause climate change? I know now owning Tesla's was one of the best decisions I ever made. People just don't get it ! Threw a little sarcasm in for good measure

Reactions: destructure00
600 miles is just a day trip. Double that and it becomes a real PIA since the wasted time spent charging turns it into a 3 day affair instead of an ICE over-nighter. And this is on a fully supercharged route. This summer I'll give it another shot using improved choreography in & out of SuC stops along with optimized starting times so maybe it can be done. But summer means more RVs and traffic so average speed suffers.
--

Reactions: Eclectic
If your trip is all about the destination, an ICE is frequently the best choice.

If it is about the journey, then the EV can be the better choice.

They are two different experiences. Each driver needs to see which will give them the results they want.

For many, the exhaustion of long distance trips, pushing all the time to minimize time on the road is unpleasant. Better to fly and rent a car from the airport.

Personally I have found the combination of Autopilot with the occasional charging stops, makes Tesla travel an enjoyable choice.

Reactions: XLR82XS
I love the road trips on the Autobahn in the Model S. I've got a fairly old one that rarely charges upto 100kW mostly in the 70-80kW and falling. But it's excellent. I might spend about an hour more than I used to in the old ICE, but I arrive well rested and happy.