Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install day tips!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One day before my install, I still didn't know where 2 PW, GW, or inverter were going to be located. I wanted them in the garage and told the site inspector prior, but that was months prior. I called in, got thru to someone who emailed me a tiny unreadable pic of the install plan, but I still couldn't tell if they were going to be in the garage or outside. I told her I wanted everything inside the garage, and she said she'd relay that message, and I also said if they plan to put anything outside I will cancel and they can revise the plan and come back later.

The next day, the crew came and were very accommodating on installing everything inside the garage where I wanted while also following codes/rules. I asked to install the PWs in the front corner of my garage right next to the garage door (there's 2ft wide empty space, behind which is a 18" wide HFX steel sheer frame and impossible to drive into unless I ram my car into the house from the outside) but they said they'd need to install bollards to prevent hitting them with a car and it would cost extra $6k. So instead the PWs are in the middle of my garage, where I can actually ram into them with my car if I wanted to. But it's up to code and passed city inspection..

Unfortunately my panel install was delayed due to weather. I managed to get a priority reschedule though (~3 weeks from now).

They still came out to do the electrical portion (PW, inverter, and TEG install). This was good because my utility (Austin Energy) reportedly has a 9 month (!!) backlog for power disconnection (necessary for TEG install). Not super happy with the way they did the conduit (conduit from meter -> TEG, separate conduit from TEG to main panel when IMO they could've used the same one for all 6 wires -- unless its against code), but I don't think it's worth raising a stink about.

Luckily, I was able to use the delay to my advantage and increase the size of the system. Small wins. Thanks for all the tips everyone!