Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Erratic Behavior Pre PTO with Newly Installed System - Is This Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
System is a 14.8KW system with 2 Powerwall+'s and 1 Powerwall. I have the system setting on self consumption mode. I understand Tesla throttles the system Pre PTO to try and eliminate electricty going back through the grid, but I thought this would only happen once the batteries were full. I am on day 4 of my newly installed system. The behavior just seems erratic. See details below.

Day 1 was super cloudy and rainy. Saw a max of around 6.3KW from the array. To me seemed to operate as it should Powerwalls never got over 30% Charged.

Day 2 was overcast day with rolling clouds. It also seemed to operate as what I would think to be normal. Generated 46.1KWH with a max of 11.9KW. Powerwalls got to 95% Charged.

Day 3 was partly cloudy but overall I think great weather for Solar. I generated 44.4KWH with a max of 10.2KW. I think if the power had somewhere to go, I could have hit 70-80kwh for the day. Powerwalls charged up to 100% before the solar backed down to reduce/eliminate Grid exportation. Again, I would say it acted as it should. Although, we had some heavy energy usage around 4-5pm and the solar never really kicked back in running the powerwalls down to 60% before the sun went down, although we still had strong sun.

Day 4 (Today) as of 1:45pm it has been the perfect day. Clear skys bright sun and high of 70 degrees. I have generated around 30kwh. Max of 9KW. Powerwalls are at 70%.

I have included some pictures below. I just want to make sure this is normal practice and not something wrong with the system.

Attachments

• unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 91
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 44
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 44
The Today view is not what you'd expect under these conditions (sunny, Powerwalls not full). There should be no curtailment if there are enough loads to use up the solar, and with 3 Powerwalls you have plenty.

To investigate further, here are some things to verify:

1) Is it a measurement issue? One thing that looks odd to me is the 0.2kW house draw in your screenshot, based on the other charts your baseline home usage looks larger than that. What do the home/powerwall/grid charts look like for the day?

2) Is there an issue with one of the strings or inverters? You'll need to connect to your Tesla Gateway to get that info. If you're having trouble connecting to your gateway, try the Netzero for Tesla app (disclaimer: I wrote the app).

Sweet app. I have tried to login to the gateway and can't get it to work. I got the password off the sticker inside the gateway. I did a network scan and got the IP address. Not sure what I am doing wrong.
The password should be the last 5 characters of the password printed on the label in the gateway (should be all letters). If that still doesn’t work, you can try connecting to the gateway’s wifi interface directly. Have your phone connect to the TEG… network, this time using the full password on the label (I think just scanning the QR code should do the trick). Once connected to the wifi, navigate in a browser to https://192.168.92.1 and repeat the login process above.

In my case the label on the gateway was actually wrong, so the installer had to call Tesla support to get the correct password. But I expect that to be a rare issue.

Reactions: yblaser