Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Installing Snow Chains on a Lowered or Performance Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been going through tons of options and regular metal chains require you to reach your hands behind the tire under the fender but since I lowered my model 3 its extremely difficult to wrap them around the back now. The newest chains which are plastic metal hybrids usually are yellow you just slip through one by one through the spokes and are easy to install are actually very bad quality and fall off all the time and break. So opting for the regular metal chains but does anyone have a solution or workaround for getting them on without having to put your hands under the fender?

Been going through tons of options and regular metal chains require you to reach your hands behind the tire under the fender but since I lowered my model 3 its extremely difficult to wrap them around the back now. The newest chains which are plastic metal hybrids usually are yellow you just slip through one by one through the spokes and are easy to install are actually very bad quality and fall off all the time and break. So opting for the regular metal chains but does anyone have a solution or workaround for getting them on without having to put your hands under the fender?

I would strongly encourage you to use the Tesla-recommended chains and follow the instructions to the letter. If you're using 20" wheels (and I hope to god you aren't taking the factory 20 inch tires to the snow for any reason, ever), that's obviously not an option but I'd see if Tesla will put a recommendation in writing.

…and as always, I highly recommend actual snow tires, not allegedly snow-rated all seasons, as all-seasons are garbage when it comes to the most important thing there is in the snow: stopping. :)

I went with the autosock brand of cloth chains. I really don't see many good options for our performance cars with 20" rims.
I haven't actually tried them yet, but I carried them with me last time I traveled to snow country.

For someone who was serious about the snow in their 20s, I'd recommend spike spiders. Very easy to take on and off, and very long lasting with replaceable spider arms. They would be quite bulky in the trunk though. I had these years ago with my Saturn which had similar suspension clearance problems. You do need to replace the lug nuts though, and install the mounting plate. Looking at their website, it appears they don't have the style I prefer, but the new style looks interesting too. I'd call them if you were interested and ready to plunk down $400+ for them

There aren't any official options for the 20s. I went with some all season tires to replace the P4S.

I went with the autosock brand of cloth chains. I really don't see many good options for our performance cars with 20" rims.
I haven't actually tried them yet, but I carried them with me last time I traveled to snow country.

For someone who was serious about the snow in their 20s, I'd recommend spike spiders. Very easy to take on and off, and very long lasting with replaceable spider arms. They would be quite bulky in the trunk though. I had these years ago with my Saturn which had similar suspension clearance problems. You do need to replace the lug nuts though, and install the mounting plate. Looking at their website, it appears they don't have the style I prefer, but the new style looks interesting too. I'd call them if you were interested and ready to plunk down $400+ for them

There aren't any official options for the 20s. I went with some all season tires to replace the P4S.
I concur. We had a guy that regularly crossed the Cascades for work all winter. The spike spiders were the answer for him.

I would strongly encourage you to use the Tesla-recommended chains and follow the instructions to the letter. If you're using 20" wheels (and I hope to god you aren't taking the factory 20 inch tires to the snow for any reason, ever), that's obviously not an option but I'd see if Tesla will put a recommendation in writing.

…and as always, I highly recommend actual snow tires, not allegedly snow-rated all seasons, as all-seasons are garbage when it comes to the most important thing there is in the snow: stopping. :)
(20" snow tires)

Having unexpectedly, done this (my goal was to leave before it started snowing but it didn't happen because I planned poorly), I damaged my car as my vehicle slide backwards about 50 feet and I narrowly avoided another vehicle by turning it into a snow pile. Don't be me, don't be a bad. :oops:

I did buy emergency snow chains (tourist charge of $100) which worked for 15-20 miles of snow so I could leave the mountains and installed them in the snow. It was difficult but I used summon to move the car so that the hooks are near the bottom of the rear bumper that I could put my hands there to attach and tighten. I would still highly recommend Tesla's chains.

The model 1042 fits the 235/35/20 size wheels.

(20" snow tires)

Having unexpectedly, done this (my goal was to leave before it started snowing but it didn't happen because I planned poorly), I damaged my car as my vehicle slide backwards about 50 feet and I narrowly avoided another vehicle by turning it into a snow pile. Don't be me, don't be a bad. :oops:

I did buy emergency snow chains (tourist charge of $100) which worked for 15-20 miles of snow so I could leave the mountains and installed them in the snow. It was difficult but I used summon to move the car so that the hooks are near the bottom of the rear bumper that I could put my hands there to attach and tighten. I would still highly recommend Tesla's chains.

The model 1042 fits the 235/35/20 size wheels.

Sorry to hear about your story :( but at least you answered a question I had been wondering, will regular chains clear the area where the tire just barely clears the strut. Did they contact the suspension at all? I imagine it was close on the inside of the tire right on top where the suspension is.

Tesla still doesn't offer any chains for 20" model 3 Wheels.

Sorry to hear about your story :( but at least you answered a question I had been wondering, will regular chains clear the area where the tire just barely clears the strut. Did they contact the suspension at all? I imagine it was close on the inside of the tire right on top where the suspension is.

Tesla still doesn't offer any chains for 20" model 3 Wheels.

I have to check for any damage, but the chains did not reach the rims and were fairly taut. I did not use rubber adjusters because I felt it was unnecessary as it looked it was installed correctly.

My example that night was filled for poor planning choices (but I was already under a lot of pressure just get out there from the S.O. that I didn't do all that I wanted to do). So I had some concern after effects. The chains made it feel like my car was driving on rocks and deep rumble strips shaking the car tremendously the entire time. I asked other people and they said thats how chains are suppose to feel especially on low speeds.

I've been meaning to get a flashlight to inspect all the after effects of driving through so much snow but haven't had a chance to.