Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance claims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I tried to search but could only find threads that discuss insurance prices. I wanted to start a thread about people’s experience in regards to actual insurance claims with their Tesla (not other car brands). Which insurer did you have? Was it a good or bad experience? I don’t want to discuss prices, just what everyone’s experience has been. I tried calling a local Tesla certified body shop and they said they can’t comment on which insurance companies are easiest to deal with.

Last edited:
I've been dealing with "The Hartford" insurance company. They have been very helpful.

The body shop said that Geico and State Farm were the worst to deal with.

I have a friend that has a fleet of vehicles, and he is constantly dealing with fender benders. He hates Geico and says hes had to go legal on them a few times.

Very timely as I am in this boat right now. Earlier this week I was involved in an accident that caused significant/substantial damage to the front-end of my less than two-month old (to me) CPO 2015 S 85D. Airbags did not deploy and everything from the A-pillars back looks fine (e.g. no damage to doors/interior/rear of car). I walked away mostly unharmed (the most important thing).

Insurance company (AAA) just transferred car from local body shop where it was towed from the accident scene to a semi-local Tesla-certified repair shop. I am expecting estimates sometime next week at which point I am hoping the insurance company will repair the car vs. declaring it a total loss as this car was kind of a unicorn for me.

To be determined whether this process will be a positive one or not but so far they have been responsive and helpful. I will follow up on this thread when I have more information.

Farmers here. Had a kid rear end me at about 15mph in my old S60, left some deep gouges and a crease in the bumper requiring it to be replaced. No hangups on the insurance side of things. Since the damage wasn't too bad I just drove the car until the body shop received the replacement bumper which took roughly five weeks.

USAA has been very good with insurance claims and repairing my P85. :)
Second this for great USAA experience with an accident in parking lot. Other person at fault had USAA, had accident on Thursday, got estimate Friday morning, got electronic fund transfer Friday afternoon. When I recalled that the car had been coated and that would need to be redone 2 months later, it was handled immediately. Great experience.

Whatever you do, do not go with AAA.

Unless you intend to drive less then 800 miles per year... yes per year and not per month, they will rake your rate so high, any savings in gas will be moot and then some over a ICE car.

The rep even said AAA hates Tesla's, and its automatic $3000+ over your current rate.

Whatever you do, do not go with AAA.

Unless you intend to drive less then 800 miles per year... yes per year and not per month, they will rake your rate so high, any savings in gas will be moot and then some over a ICE car.

The rep even said AAA hates Tesla's, and its automatic $3000+ over your current rate.

This probably depends on the underwriter for the insurance. My AAA insurance is underwritten by CSAA and my rates only rose about $38/month from my previous car (a Chevy Volt). I'm sure I was already paying an EV premium for that car though plus the "Delaware has the worst drivers in the country" premium (it's a real thing) means my overall rates are probably higher than most for the three cars I currently have insured.

Who knows what's going to happen to my rates now with this accident. I just hope they will fix my car.

This probably depends on the underwriter for the insurance. My AAA insurance is underwritten by CSAA and my rates only rose about $38/month from my previous car (a Chevy Volt). I'm sure I was already paying an EV premium for that car though plus the "Delaware has the worst drivers in the country" premium (it's a real thing) means my overall rates are probably higher than most for the three cars I currently have insured.

Who knows what's going to happen to my rates now with this accident. I just hope they will fix my car.

i think it has to do with location as well.
I live smack in the Los Angeles, where its rated as one of the worst traffic congested cities in the world.

For 2 cars with multi car discount i am paying about ~5000 dollars per year on ins.
This is with a perfect driving record, no accidents, no tickets.
Been driving for 30 yrs on top.
The Tesla alone accounts for roughly 80% of that.

LoL i could lease a entry level luxury car for the cost in insurance alone.

Short to say i am shopping again for a new ins company with better flexible rates.
I love AAA the service has been top notch when i needed it tho, its just with Tesla's, it makes you really sad.