Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance claim for non-accident? What all is needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm preparing for a large repair cost on my Model S. I have every reason to believe it's related to when I went off to the side of the road to go around a parked Fedex truck that was taking up the road (it's a very narrow road) and wound up buried in the mud that had basically the entire back passenger side covered. Later that day, the car stopped charging it's 12 volt system and I'm sure an internal fuse blew... that of course, Tesla chooses to replace the entire module.

So, presuming that it's an expensive part, I believe that insurance SHOULD cover it. I would imagine, however, that this would "Raise some red flags" as it's not just a normal car-hit-car nor a deep flooding type of situation.

What would I need (and/or Telsa need) to provide to the Insurance Company so that they would accept the claim? Something like a confirmation of moisture in the electronics?

I'm preparing for a large repair cost on my Model S. I have every reason to believe it's related to when I went off to the side of the road to go around a parked Fedex truck that was taking up the road (it's a very narrow road) and wound up buried in the mud that had basically the entire back passenger side covered. Later that day, the car stopped charging it's 12 volt system and I'm sure an internal fuse blew... that of course, Tesla chooses to replace the entire module.

So, presuming that it's an expensive part, I believe that insurance SHOULD cover it. I would imagine, however, that this would "Raise some red flags" as it's not just a normal car-hit-car nor a deep flooding type of situation.

What would I need (and/or Telsa need) to provide to the Insurance Company so that they would accept the claim? Something like a confirmation of moisture in the electronics?
If you have comprehensive coverage, you can take a picture of the mud event, and report to the insurance. You can follow up with Tesla cost estimate.

If you don't have comprehensive coverage, you pay from your own pocket.

If you have comprehensive coverage, you can take a picture of the mud event, and report to the insurance. You can follow up with Tesla cost estimate.

If you don't have comprehensive coverage, you pay from your own pocket.

This would almost certainly be a collision claim, not comprehensive.

The damage was from driving off-road into something static - not moving - i.e. the mud.

It's like if a truck throws, say, a sofa in the middle of the road. If it hits your vehicle while airborne, it's a comprehensive claim. If it's on the ground, it's collision - doesn't really matter how long it was there.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm willing to bet the insurance company will consider driving off-road into the mud as a collision claim.

So @kirkhilles - has Tesla provided a repair cost? There may be a (big) benefit to you to pay that out of pocket vs. filing with insurance. A collision claim many times - but obviously not always - causes a rise in renewal cost. That, plus the deductible, can be of negative value to you vs. paying out of pocket.

Best advice is as above -- talk to your agent.

This would almost certainly be a collision claim, not comprehensive.

The damage was from driving off-road into something static - not moving - i.e. the mud.

It's like if a truck throws, say, a sofa in the middle of the road. If it hits your vehicle while airborne, it's a comprehensive claim. If it's on the ground, it's collision - doesn't really matter how long it was there.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm willing to bet the insurance company will consider driving off-road into the mud as a collision claim.

So @kirkhilles - has Tesla provided a repair cost? There may be a (big) benefit to you to pay that out of pocket vs. filing with insurance. A collision claim many times - but obviously not always - causes a rise in renewal cost. That, plus the deductible, can be of negative value to you vs. paying out of pocket.

Best advice is as above -- talk to your agent.
You're right for this instance being collision not comprehensive but the couch reference… if it throws a couch and you don't see it because the car in front of you drove over it without issue and you don't see it and can't swerve and colide with it it's comprehensive.

I had that happen with a big rock that blew 2 tires and poked a hole in 1 rim. 100% comprehensive paid $0

But this guy driving off-road and ****ing *sugar* up is 100% collision so it'll cost and raise the insurance rate too.

Reactions: Tam and dmurphy
Thanks all for your feedback. They should have it finished tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure I understand, but as of now their Estimate involves replacing the battery (I'm hoping to get a discount since I had them replace it a year ago) and replacing the Coolant Heater (2nd gen). That doesn't make logical sense to me, but maybe if one of the core systems fails then the HV system will just refuse to charge the battery. We'll see. I fear they may find that there is more needed. I'll update once complete.

In terms of Insurance, I'd be covered either way, although for me Comprehensive has a $500 deductible while Collision has a $1,000 deductible. I used to have much lower deductibles, but when my son turned 16 the rates skyrocketed and I needed to bump those up.

According to my policy (USAA), it states:

Comprehensive: Covers damage caused by something other than another vehicle such as hail, theft, or collision with an animal. $5000 limit may apply to custom equipment and glass replacement may be subject to your deductible.

Collision: Covers damage to your vehicle caused by impact with an object other than an animal.

Thanks all for your feedback. They should have it finished tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure I understand, but as of now their Estimate involves replacing the battery (I'm hoping to get a discount since I had them replace it a year ago) and replacing the Coolant Heater (2nd gen). That doesn't make logical sense to me, but maybe if one of the core systems fails then the HV system will just refuse to charge the battery. We'll see. I fear they may find that there is more needed. I'll update once complete.

In terms of Insurance, I'd be covered either way, although for me Comprehensive has a $500 deductible while Collision has a $1,000 deductible. I used to have much lower deductibles, but when my son turned 16 the rates skyrocketed and I needed to bump those up.

According to my policy (USAA), it states:

Comprehensive: Covers damage caused by something other than another vehicle such as hail, theft, or collision with an animal. $5000 limit may apply to custom equipment and glass replacement may be subject to your deductible.

Collision: Covers damage to your vehicle caused by impact with an object other than an animal.
I stand corrected and agree with others that it's a collision with the mud, not a flood with mud comprehensive coverage.

Water/mud is not good for electronics so just replace whatever needed to get the car going again.

Reactions: kirkhilles
it sounds like you chose to drive your car off road to get around the delivery truck. If that’s the case, I’m not sure they’ll cover this; most policies have exclusions for off roading and tracking. I’d expect an increase in your premiums If they do.