Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance For M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any advice on a good competitive insurer for the RHD M3s?

I tried LV as that's mentioned quite a lot but their web form only lists a LHD M3 performance?!? WTF!? I thought I'd select that anyway just to get a feel for numbers but at the end of the arduous form the web site helpfully told me that they don't insure that car!

So they're useless.

DirectLine want a grand even though I'm >9 years NCD.

Any other options?

Any advice on a good competitive insurer for the RHD M3s?

I tried LV as that's mentioned quite a lot but their web form only lists a LHD M3 performance?!? WTF!? I thought I'd select that anyway just to get a feel for numbers but at the end of the arduous form the web site helpfully told me that they don't insure that car!

So they're useless.

DirectLine want a grand even though I'm >9 years NCD.

Any other options?

Try Churchill, they quoted me cheaper than DL, also I think you need to call LV to get a quote.

Also privilege can quote online

I'm sure other do but you may have to call as there websites are not up to date

Reactions: dakang
Try Churchill, they quoted me cheaper than DL, also I think you need to call LV to get a quote.

Churchill and Privilege are both Direct Line brands. Funny how insurance works. Also, I've always found LV= expensive. My M3 quote from Direct Line was exactly the same as my current car (LR Discovery Sport) so they said all I need to do is let them know when I'm collecting it and I will get a small admin fee.

I'm sure other do but you may have to call as there websites are not up to date

Whilst awaiting my car. I got a couple of quotes

I am old and have 13 years of NCB

For a M3P:

DirectLine: £553
Churchill: £397.60 inc Class 1 business use

Fully comp, kept on drive in Oxford.

@BogBeast - thank you that's really helpful. That's more in line with what I was expecting/hoping to pay!

No problems. if you find anything cheaper please post back here. I found some of the comparison sites are starting to feature the M3, so hopefully, a few more simar prices will popup

Whilst I am twiddling my thumbs waiting, the least I can do is chase down the cheapest insurance I can find

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I think insurance for the model 3 right now is a reason why people are holding off, if Directline/Churchill group aren't competitive (50% more than my current insurance for the same car) the only solution is to wait for other insurance companies or just pay up at this higher price.

Some were offering insurance for a Model-3 LHD Import ... which they did have on their books before the M3 RHD launch and their database hadn't yet had RHD UK model added ... dunno if that's what they, accidentally, quoted you perhaps?

Double checked email - it had the whole selection of model 3s when i did get a quote on 25th May including Long range

RHD SR+ :), although was not the cheapest quote i had £585 (to me). Churchill was £545

Thank you for getting a car insurance quote from Privilege.
Car Make: TESLA MODEL-3 (19ON) STND RANGE
Cover Level: Comprehensive
Legal Protection: No
Protected No Claim Discount: No
Voluntary Excess: £250

Hi guys - any advice on this? I've spent best part of an hour on the phone to Admiral who provided the cheapest quote for an M3 Performance at just shy of £850 (£100 cheaper than any of the Direct Line Group), but they can't pull up a UK Model 3 on their system. They've got one that has "(Import)" at the end and another they thought might be correct as it's not import and is just one digit different on the ABI number, but starts Model X P9... I've clearly stated it's not an import and is right hand drive when putting in the quote request (through confused.com) but don't really want invalid insurance on a not cheap car! At the moment, it feels like you're trapped into paying Direct Line Group for your insurance, which isn't really fair competition.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I thought that - but resent paying extra just because DLG have some agreement with Tesla!
The two ABI no's that the guy gave me were 0220328 (for the Tesla 3-Performance (Import)) and 0220329 for the the one that started Model X P9 (but had a 3 in it as well - didn't quite catch the full name). Don't suppose anyone has access to the ABI database to look them up :D

I thought that - but resent paying extra just because DLG have some agreement with Tesla!
The two ABI no's that the guy gave me were 0220328 (for the Tesla 3-Performance (Import)) and 0220329 for the the one that started Model X P9 (but had a 3 in it as well - didn't quite catch the full name). Don't suppose anyone has access to the ABI database to look them up :D

Oh - and I also find it odd that an import model appears cheaper to insure than a UK car!

At the moment, it feels like you're trapped into paying Direct Line Group for your insurance, which isn't really fair competition.

You'd probably have that problem with any car brand when a new model comes out.

Rather than with unfair competition, more Early Adopter Problem ... sorry ...

Tesla back office is more chaos than most, which makes it worse.

Insurer won't list the car until they have the list of the cost of the parts and so on and have done their analysis. Maybe established brands are better at getting that information out well ahead of the car being available

Time was when Insurance was ridiculously high for Teslas and Tesla did a deal with Direct Line which provided more sensible prices (and things like Discount for having AP fitted), perhaps in the process DL put the effort in to accepting Tesla's data in whatever format suited Tesla

odd that an import model appears cheaper to insure than a UK car!

I thought that when it came up in conversation earlier. maybe LHD (assuming "Import" = LHD?) is only nicked in the UK by bunglers who don't notice? :p

Reactions: Rooster6655