Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

interior protection : 303 aerospace.protectant vs. opti guard learher coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take delivery of a MY with white interior.
Although i love the white interior, i do worry about its maintenance.

I have read lots of threads here (MS/X/3/Y) on interior protection, most love the 303 aerospace protectant. A few post recommended opti leather guard.

I am very impressed with the opti leather guard watching some youtube video.
But opti guard has to be applied by license dealer.
303 i can applied myself, but i will need to do it every month. Opti guard is good for 5yr!

Anyone tried both? Any comparison review?
is it a waste of money?? or worth every penny?

Any other good recommendations out there?
What did you do to protect your vegan leather seat??

thanks in advance!

one more question:

do opti guard really last 5 yr??

most other product last few weeks to at most one year. Lasting 5 yr is incredible!!!

I am a certified Opti installer, and yes it will last 5 years. You should still clean them regularly and use common sense when spills happen, and remember that Opti-Guard Leather does not protect against abrasion or punctures, but for stains it is fantastic.
But for the absolute best protection, get Opti-Guard Leather installed, then purchase a Transparent Interior Warranty which covers almost all other kinds of damage.
Of course this is easiest accomplished by finding a certified Opti and Transparent installer in your area.

• Informative
Reactions: laughMan
I am a certified Opti installer, and yes it will last 5 years. You should still clean them regularly and use common sense when spills happen, and remember that Opti-Guard Leather does not protect against abrasion or punctures, but for stains it is fantastic.
But for the absolute best protection, get Opti-Guard Leather installed, then purchase a Transparent Interior Warranty which covers almost all other kinds of damage.
Of course this is easiest accomplished by finding a certified Opti and Transparent installer in your area.

thank you!!
it is good to heard the opinion from a professional!!
Opti-guard seems like the way to go.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
how do you like the Gyeon quartz leather shield? how often do you need to reapply?
would you recommend it?
I purchased the Gyeon Quartz Leather Shield and I thought it worked well; however, I attempted to use it again about a year later and the contents of the bottle petrified. I reached out to the manufacturer and they recommend using the product in it's entirety shortly after opening the bottle. Once you open it and the air hits the formula, it will start to crystallize. These coating products do not have the same shelf life of say a wax or sealant, so you do need to use them asap after opening to avoid any of these curing issues.

• Informative
I purchased the Gyeon Quartz Leather Shield and I thought it worked well; however, I attempted to use it again about a year later and the contents of the bottle petrified. I reached out to the manufacturer and they recommend using the product in it's entirety shortly after opening the bottle. Once you open it and the air hits the formula, it will start to crystallize. These coating products do not have the same shelf life of say a wax or sealant, so you do need to use them asap after opening to avoid any of these curing issues.

thanks for the review!
does the coating rub off like dust, thus, requiring reapplication every year??

thanks for the review!
does the coating rub off like dust, thus, requiring reapplication every year??
Gyeon claims the durability of the product is ">12 months". I'm not sure what that means. Most of these coating systems won't last forever and longevity is typically predicated on exposure to elements (extreme heat or cold, direct sunlight), use, maintenance, etc. I presume you'd have to reapply on some frequency but every situation is different. The coating won't "rub off" but the protection properties will diminish over time.

As a matter of background, I tend to not keep my vehicles for very long so I can't speak to my personal experience with longevity. I had the product on the leather seats of a BMW M car I owned for about 16 months. The coating seemed to work quite well throughout the time I had it on the seat, but then again I didn't truly "test it" as I'm not rough on my cars. Anyhow, I hope this helps.

thank you!!
it is good to heard the opinion from a professional!!
Opti-guard seems like the way to go.

I have opti guard on a white M3 for 1.5 years now, and FYI it will not prevent blue stains from jeans/denim.
however, the white has withstood 4 and 6yo kids incredibly well. We also put it on the white door panels.

May I ask what methods for cleaning the seat you use to remove the blue dye?
Did I say I removed it
I non obsessively use baby wipes every couple months.
I forget cleaning it is a thing, but sometimes I remember while on long autopilot trips. But there’s some crackled blueness, I think to stay . ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Especially on the left side.

I only see it if I look for it so it’s a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

But never had the time energy or interest to try all the combos of degreaser, alcohol, bleach, sulphuric acid, arnica, holy water, 320 grit sanding, and gargle blaster people try in YouTube. Maybe optiperson here has good tips.

I have opti guard on a white M3 for 1.5 years now, and FYI it will not prevent blue stains from jeans/denim.

thanks for the feedback.
i am disappointed to learn that opti guard does not prevent blue stain from jean.
That’s the main reason for applying protection for me as we wear jean all the time.
hmmm... back to more research.

And please share if you have a good tip or product that last for long time and withstand jean stain.

Is there a non-zero stain? Yea. My definition of zero is .. zero. Is it noticeable if you’re not looking for it? Not really. (Judge for yourself— poor lightning and the garage has 6000K lights so shadows are bluish.)
I’ll apply the optiJuice to the MY when it comes and i ordered white again.
. 73AE730B-B212-477F-9FE6-D1DB49209DB8.jpeg

Is there a non-zero stain? Yea. My definition of zero is .. zero. Is it noticeable if you’re not looking for it? Not really. (Judge for yourself— poor lightning and the garage has 6000K lights so shadows are bluish.)
I’ll apply the optiJuice to the MY when it comes and i ordered white again.
.View attachment 632467
This is what I was trying to get at when I asked my original question about your experience with Opti-Guard on your white seats and staining... that is when you said, "...it will not prevent blue stains from jeans/denim." what is your definition of a "stain"? You've clarified that with your answer.

For others reading this thread, I only ask because everyone is different with wordings like this, some people say "stain" and that means, "it still gets dirty". Others say stain and it means "I wipe it with some cleaner and I can still see the blue dye".

How I word it to my clients is, "Opti-guard Leather will prevent permanent stains." This means the seats will still get dirty and may show some blue dye transfer (albeit at a much slower rate than with non-coated seats), but that with nominal cleaning the seats will return to like-new cleanliness condition.
Using baby wipes is fine, but as people have discovered, they don't really clean all that well. I recommend using Opti-Coat Power Clean diluted 9:1 with water for interior cleaning. It's made by the same company, and is strong enough to clean interiors without being too harsh or leaving any residue or perfumy odor.