Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Autopilot as awesome for you as it is for me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread makes me happy :) Cannot wait to get my car in 2 weeks!!! Sitting in NoVA traffic 35 miles each way

night and day. definitely lmk how it goes for you. I intentionally mimic'd the intro to Office Space in my vid because of its excellent portrayal of traffic and the futile attempts to guess which lanes will move faster. With EAP, that all goes away. Might as well be fishing.

This thread makes me happy :) Cannot wait to get my car in 2 weeks!!! Sitting in NoVA traffic 35 miles each way
For sure you don’t want to buy a Tesla without EAP. It’s a wonderful driving assist. It makes driving safer, not the other way around.

The problem in my opinion is that there is a lot of confusion with EAP and a lot of people are expecting self driving. I feel Tesla and Elon Musk are somewhat responsible for this. They sell something called “FSD” and have given outlooks that are way over optimistic regarding FSD.

I can't wait for someone to do a large study on the safety of adaptive cruise control.

Good things:
Increases following distances
Relaxes drivers because it's less stressful
Gives a second set of eyes for moments of inattention
People are less prone to speeding because it's really speed control. Most people don't say "Hey, I want to go 15+ over the speed limit", but they end up doing that with inattention to their speed. So adaptive cruise control has the limit as something a person is okay with (it's pretty average around where I drive).

Bad things:
Might encourage some people to text while driving
False positive braking might cause someone to get rear ended (if the person behind them isn't on ACC)
People might trust it too much and end up rear-ending stalled cars.

It’s underway! MIT Autonomous Vehicle Technology Study | MIT Human-Centered AI

No results yet, but they have 99 participants using various drive assist systems (including Autopilot) who have driven 400,000 miles. They have a driver monitoring system that films the driver and uses deep learning to assess their facial expression to determine mood, glance, alertness, etc. I’m really curious to see the results when they’re finally out.

People who do long highway drives on Autopilot say they feel less tired afterward. I wonder if that in itself improves safety because being tired is almost as bad as being tipsy. I wonder if people who use Autopilot/similar systems are more alert after a long time driving.

Today, my commute from southern NH to Boston MA took almost 2 hours, most of which was spent crawling southbound on I-93. This would normally be a tremendously frustrating drive, but Autopilot makes it a breeze. My commute used to be the source of endless frustration and general grumpiness. Now I am completely stress free. It's been a totally transformative experience.

I'll admit EAP definitely is unrefined in some situations, where it does indeed feel like a kid going for his/her learner's permit. But crawling through rush hour traffic is, IMO, where EAP is near flawless. Even Tesla seems to think so, given that the nag interval increases dramatically from ~30sec to ~2min when you're stuck in traffic (for those of us who've had EAP for a while, we know that all nags used to be ~2min). Moving at low speeds is inherently less dangerous than at full highway speeds. The only situation that I disengage EAP is when someone cuts me off extremely abruptly. In those situations, I don't want to test to see if the car stops. It very well might, but not worth the collision risk.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️ LOVE EAP! My commute is so less stressful.

Reactions: nvx1977