Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Expel better than 3M PPF?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Is Expel ultimate plus ppf better than 3M ppf? I heard on YouTube that 3M gives a $3500 warranty against rock chips that expel does not provide but could not find any reference to this warranty on 3M’s website.

Regards
S

Hi

Is Expel ultimate plus ppf better than 3M ppf? I heard on YouTube that 3M gives a $3500 warranty against rock chips that expel does not provide but could not find any reference to this warranty on 3M’s website.

Regards
S

I went with Xpel. Unless things have changed, I believe Xpel offers a 10 year, transferable warranty, where as 3M offers a 7-year warranty. Also, my local installer says that in their experience, Xpel stands behind their product and will indeed replace the film at no cost if ever needed. I also like the fact that Xpel created the technology in the first place.

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Xpel also, no known issues like chips, scratches etc, installed first week in April. This gives you a break down of what I got done.

09546531-9F61-40B5-B470-D36C5135451B.jpeg

I went with Suntek over XPEL, same price and same warranty length. Part of the reason is that the adhesive on XPEL is stronger than on Suntek. This makes for an easier install for the installer, but it can make the uninstall significantly more costly years down the road.

Most customers who get ppf aren't aware that uninstall can take just as long as install once the film is aged 8+ years.

Clear Film Removal | Ask a Pro Blog

ESPECIALLY if you have had your car repainted/repaired, as the ppf can adhere to the paint stronger than the paint to the primer. One of the reasons why I wouldn't want a new Tesla that needed panels resprayed.

• Disagree
Reactions: Kleenerth3
@XPEL helped me with an install gone bad on the 3. Issue was corrected. Super satisfied.

I had it installed day after delivery for S. I plan on having the front bumper redone at 100k. Not necessary, but it would bring the car back to looking just as good as day of delivery. Front bumpers take a beating from grit. Still though a car that looks showroom from 6 feet away is pretty amazing after 75k in miles.

Full car on both, really allows me to not think about the car rather than obsess about each thing. Saves me a headache at least once every couple months.

Best installer. Not best price. Can't say it enough. Visit shop. Ask questions. Ask for other tesla owners to talk to look at the work they have done.

We'd love for you to consider SunTek for your Paint Protection Film needs. We are an actual manufacturer of the product and have been producing self-healing PPF since 2011.

We have multiple lines including a 5 year PPFC, and a 10 year hydrophobic PPF Ultra. We also have a matte finish product.

If you have any questions please reach out and we'd like to answer them.

We have a dealer locator on our website to find a SunTek installer near you.

I had Xpel on my mercedes and didn't like it, the edges lifted quite easily which led to dirt getting under. The "solution" was to trim the pieces instead of replacing them which was lame.

I went with Suntek this time around and it's pretty much transparent on my white car. The general consensus is that Suntek provides the best visuals for the car.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Suntek or Xpel, I'd avoid 3M as the original yellowing issue started with their film - I'm sure it has been corrected since, but that type of fault shouldn't be ignored.

The #1 issue you should be focused on is installer and if they wrap edges. Some will just use pre-cut pieces and don't give a flip if seams show. Spend more time finding an installer that just doesn't use pre-cuts and if they do, make sure they wrap the edges and you can confirm that from reviews.

I had Xpel on my mercedes and didn't like it, the edges lifted quite easily which led to dirt getting under. The "solution" was to trim the pieces instead of replacing them which was lame.

I went with Suntek this time around and it's pretty much transparent on my white car. The general consensus is that Suntek provides the best visuals for the car.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Suntek or Xpel, I'd avoid 3M as the original yellowing issue started with their film - I'm sure it has been corrected since, but that type of fault shouldn't be ignored.

The #1 issue you should be focused on is installer and if they wrap edges. Some will just use pre-cut pieces and don't give a flip if seams show. Spend more time finding an installer that just doesn't use pre-cuts and if they do, make sure they wrap the edges and you can confirm that from reviews.

I agree, installers are almost more important than the brand of film. Some over stretch the film which cause optical and other problems.

Hi @SunTek,

I have a quick question for you. I had SunTek PPF installed on my Acura NSX in April of 2015. The edges of the side mirrors were not fully wrapped and now on the driver's side mirror, the edges have lifted. What is the best way to remove the PPF ?

I used your link to find a SunTek installer and the closest one to Sacramento is 65 miles away (Concord, CA) and the original installer is 123 miles away (San Jose, CA).

My apologies for hijacking this thread ........

Hi @SunTek,

I have a quick question for you. I had SunTek PPF installed on my Acura NSX in April of 2015. The edges of the side mirrors were not fully wrapped and now on the driver's side mirror, the edges have lifted. What is the best way to remove the PPF ?

I used your link to find a SunTek installer and the closest one to Sacramento is 65 miles away (Concord, CA) and the original installer is 123 miles away (San Jose, CA).

My apologies for hijacking this thread ........

You could also send them a PM (open a conversation) as not to highjack the thread... ;)