Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's official, 3 years and no Tesla Energy products in Ohio....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately what Tesla doesn't tell you is that the electricity company has to approve the sale of energy storage products for their territory. In my case, I had placed my order for my Power back in 2016, and in early 2017 Tesla called me to tell me that they just received permission to sell the product in my area (PG&E is my provider), so it was only then that they could begin the onsite inspection.

It's possible that they aren't in your area because your power company doesn't yet permit energy storage solutions behind the meter...

Just a guess.

That I couldn't tell you. It's the same reason why when I inquired for months, I got the "we aren't selling it in your area just yet". I have to assume (and it's only a guess), that they can't share the current status due to obligations with the energy provider. It could also be to protect a competitive advantage against the competition (ie, SunRun).

I'm only extrapolating based on what I've heard and seen. While it's not based on fact, I don't think we will ever learn why there is such a long delay in certain markets, or states.

Also note, that some states are still coal friendly, so encouraging or making it easy for households to be energy independent with solar and energy storage is not looked at favorably.

Can you buy no other battery from no other provider? That'll tell you if it's Tesla or local-authorities. I'd would think LG Chem is available everywhere ...

I think the issue is really with the smarts found within the Tesla Gateway which understand your rate plan that you tell it, and then make a decision on what to do (ie, charge during non-peak hours, and consume during peak hours, keeping a percent for outages, setting it up for whole home backup, or Time of Use Load Shifting, etc...). Some energy providers do not allow such smart batteries behind the meter.

Now, there's nothing stopping you from doing this yourself, but you should refer to the Tariffs from your electrical provider as they stipulate what you are and are not allowed to do depending on your rate plan.

For example, here's the site for PG&E and all of their electrical rate plans and the associated tariffs.

Tariffs

Unfortunately what Tesla doesn't tell you is that the electricity company has to approve the sale of energy storage products for their territory. In my case, I had placed my order for my Power back in 2016, and in early 2017 Tesla called me to tell me that they just received permission to sell the product in my area (PG&E is my provider), so it was only then that they could begin the onsite inspection.

It's possible that they aren't in your area because your power company doesn't yet permit energy storage solutions behind the meter...

Just a guess.
Nope, our city has their own power company, it's not that. But if you have a contact at Tesla, id be glad to explain that to them.