Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just discovered a unscrewed door screw.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

After some time driving the car, I just discovered this hanging door screw.
It’s one of the driver size front door upper hinge screw. I tried turning it clockwise and counterclockwise, it turns, but it’s not going in nor coming out, it just sits there free spinning. I don’t see scratch marks on the body from the screw, nor any black paint on the screw is scratch, seems like it was like this from the factory.
Should I be concerned? Car is 2017 and door hasn’t fall of yet…
Let me know your thoughts and my possible options.

Thanks
314266B6-4032-442F-A38D-AE196FCC8A3B.jpeg

do you really need to ask here if you should be concerned? take it to tesla service and ask, or simply tighten it.
As mentioned, I have already try tighten it and it won’t do anything but free spinning. Read the original posting before giving a reply will be gladly appreciated.
And ofc Tesla won’t do anything because it is a 2017 MS. Asking just to see if anyone has a similar experience.

If it's got a nut on the other end and isn't screwed into the frame, and the nut's inaccessible but still attached try pulling the bolt out so as to keep the nut tight against the frame whilst gently tightening the bolt up - when it gets really tight the nut won't spin.
Otherwise, and pardon the pun, you're screwed.

Sorry.

If it's got a nut on the other end and isn't screwed into the frame, and the nut's inaccessible but still attached try pulling the bolt out so as to keep the nut tight against the frame whilst gently tightening the bolt up - when it gets really tight the nut won't spin.
Otherwise, and pardon the pun, you're screwed.

Sorry.
Yeah I tried that as well, no luck. :(

Is the (previously welded) nut accessible from behind the wheel well?

Not sure why you're convinced Tesla won't do anything. They won't do anything for free but they may be able to tighten it. Any repair shop should be able to do this though. I would avoid the headache and expense of taking it to Tesla.

Is the (previously welded) nut accessible from behind the wheel well?

Not sure why you're convinced Tesla won't do anything. They won't do anything for free but they may be able to tighten it. Any repair shop should be able to do this though. I would avoid the headache and expense of taking it to Tesla.
I sent an email to Tesla and had a few back and forth conversation mainly focusing on if this is a warranty work or not as they did suspect it’s either being like that from the factory or it’s a left over aftermath from an accident repair. Told them no accident but they said if it is accident they won’t touch. But I asked them to check first, yet haven’t hear back yet.

Looks like a cross threaded /stripped bolt that got out of the factory. I'd use something like an open ended spanner to lever behind the bolt head. This might let the bolt grab enough to turn out. I used to work in a car factory and used to repair similar. Then use a tap to repair the nut thread before fitting a new bolt.

Reactions: dsiwireless