Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KWh charge equivalents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for all the input. I should have clarified that the 40% (30KWh) is what I charge in a week.
Ah. Then it is like a 2nd fridge in term of usage. In term of stress on grid, it really depends on your location. Here in SoCal, the stress time used to be like 11pm to 4pm. I remember back in the day, the office will announce for us to term off all desk lights and non essential stuff during the afternoon. Now with all the solar power, the stress time is 4pm to 9pm. So technically it is better to charge from 12pm to 4pm than to charge from 10pm to 2am because in the afternoon, it would be using redirected solar power. At night it would be coal generated power.

The grid load argument is also bunk.

1, your home charging is a few kW for the simple mobile charger, up to 10kW or so for a dedicated walk charger (mine is 7).

a hair dryer or water kettle draws up to 2kW. it aint gonna bring down the grid.

2, people are likely charging in the evening, when theyve gotten home, when the overall grid load is the lowest

3, people buy electric cars incrementally. as their adoption scale, and electric consumption scale, so does the grid/infrastructure. people exaggerate as if 300 million americans swap their cars tomorrow to electric. its like saying in 1910, “dont buy a Model T, there wont be enough gas stations to refuel it”.

Its ignant.

Reactions: Ev_Rider
Thanks everyone. This exploration was to find an answer to those people telling me I am putting stress on the electric grid by having an EV. I wanted to have a comparison to show my car is not adding that much of a burden to the nations power grid. So it seems similar or even less than everyone in the country having a 2nd refrigerator.
Stress on the grid? I charge mine overnight when there is surplus capacity. That also takes advantage of cheaper TOU rates. Any reason you cannot do the same?

My entire home (without charging a Tesla) uses 40 kwh on a 90 degree day with the thermostat set to 70. On a spring day without AC or heat my home uses are around 30. Hard to compare charging to an appliance when a whole home uses the same amount of energy.