Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease termination followed by new car purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a leased MYLR whose lease ends this coming December. At that time. I would like to purchase outright a new MYLR to take advantage of all the many incremental improvements.

My ideal scenario is this: In December I drive to the service center to turn in my leased car, then take delivery of the new MY during the same visit. Total time < 1 hour.

My expectation is that the probability of this scenario is probably less than 0.0001%. With the long and uncertain order lead times, I'm afraid that there would be a window when I would either have 2 cars or 0 cars. Not ideal!

Have any of you dealt with this situation (the earliest 2-year leases should soon be ending)? How far in advance would I have to sign up for the new car? Advice? (My lease agreement says that it may not be extended, at least for now.)

I had a leased X when I bought my 3. The arrival date of the new car was vague and I spoke to Tesla who just said to keep the X u til whenever the 3 arrived. That was an extra 2 weeks or so. On pickup day I arrived in the X, gave them the keys and signed a piece of paper and then took delivery of the 3

Easy! (YMMV)

I had a leased X when I bought my 3. The arrival date of the new car was vague and I spoke to Tesla who just said to keep the X u til whenever the 3 arrived. That was an extra 2 weeks or so. On pickup day I arrived in the X, gave them the keys and signed a piece of paper and then took delivery of the 3

Easy! (YMMV)
Thanks for the update. Hope it's still as easy as that!