Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving it plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I may not drive for 2 or 3 days and I have my T3 plugged into an outlet that is on a timer and lets it charge only at the cheapest charging rates. My electric company gives us a special electric vehicle plan with rates as low as 5.8 cents per KWh between 11 pm and 5 am.

Otherwise there is no juice going to the car.

Does it harm the plug on the car to leave it plugged in? I'm lazy :)

• Love
Reactions: CyberShy
No, the manual actually tells you to leave it plugged in. You read the manual, right?

EDIT: Just in case you didnt (or missed it when you read the manual), here are the specific instructions from tesla itself on this topic (which comes up at least once a week here on these boards):

===========================
Page 122 of current model 3 tesla manual
===========================

About the Battery

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks.

When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

Note: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary. There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

===============================

Now, every time this comes up, there are people who post "so and so report says XXX" or "I dont plug mine in and its fine". All that is great. I am just posting what TESLA itself is recommending. What everyone decides to do with the car they purchased is up to them.

Last edited:
Sometimes I may not drive for 2 or 3 days and I have my T3 plugged into an outlet that is on a timer and lets it charge only at the cheapest charging rates. My electric company gives us a special electric vehicle plan with rates as low as 5.8 cents per KWh between 11 pm and 5 am.

Why not just schedule your car to start charging at 11pm? My utility has a similar EVTOU rate plan and that's what I do.

Why not just schedule your car to start charging at 11pm? My utility has a similar EVTOU rate plan and that's what I do.
Because the Tesla has no stopping point except for the one setting that limits how much it can charge.

I'm using a standard 120 volt outlet to trickle charge the car. Which takes much longer than 6 hours. So if I leave it charging it will go up into the higher rates, and being a cheapskate, I want to charge only at the lowest rate if possible.

Then set a charge limit to about the amount it will get to based on when you start.
Charging on 110v will get you about 5 miles per hour. The car will actually tell you this when it starts charging
Yes it will. But this way I can start and end the charging when I want to. I already had the plugs and timer in place for Christmas lights, might as well use it :)

I have a four plug box outside connected to an industrial timer that I used for Christmas lights. It is nice and safe. I'm sure it won't melt. :)

Im fairly certain that your tesla pulls more power continuously than your christmas lights, so judging it off the christmas lights might not be the best thing... The tesla pulls a contiuous, maximum load. I doubt your chrismtas lights were doing that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H