Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I'm planning on ordering a RWD Model 3 soon and had some question with regards to scheduled charging.

I believe you can set the hours you want the car to charge at. So in my case, I'd want to only charge between 7 pm to 7 am. If I want the car to be preconditioned by 9 am, how exactly does the charging process go? Will the car charge to 100% within my configured window(7-7), then depending on the temperature, precondition and use the outlet to precondition the car around an hour before my 10am scheduled departure? Or will the car delay charging until a few hours before the scheduled departure?

I want to be able to minimize the amount of time the car is charging outside of off peak hours. I'm not sure if the kWh used to precondition will be significant.

Also, since the mobile charger offers the maximum speed the RWD can charge at, is there any reason for me to get a wall mount instead?

Thank you!

I believe you can set the hours you want the car to charge at.
Well, not as fully as you want.
So in my case, I'd want to only charge between 7 pm to 7 am.
You don't get to set both of those. You get to choose either the start time or the stop time--not both.

And the wording on those two settings is incredibly unclear.

1. Start time. The wording of this one actually makes sense and does exactly what it says. It will start charging at this time. And it will go until it reaches your charge limit.

2. Off peak. This is weird ridiculous wording, where you set your cheaper off peak times, and at the end of that off peak time is when it will plan to end the charging. It starts whenever it estimates it needs to to reach that end point.

Scheduled departure is a setting for warming the cabin to make you comfy when you're ready to get in the car. Meh.

Hello, I'm planning on ordering a RWD Model 3 soon and had some question with regards to scheduled charging.

I believe you can set the hours you want the car to charge at. So in my case, I'd want to only charge between 7 pm to 7 am. If I want the car to be preconditioned by 9 am, how exactly does the charging process go? Will the car charge to 100% within my configured window(7-7), then depending on the temperature, precondition and use the outlet to precondition the car around an hour before my 10am scheduled departure? Or will the car delay charging until a few hours before the scheduled departure?

I want to be able to minimize the amount of time the car is charging outside of off peak hours. I'm not sure if the kWh used to precondition will be significant.

Also, since the mobile charger offers the maximum speed the RWD can charge at, is there any reason for me to get a wall mount instead?

Thank you!
First easy answer, the mobile charger using the 14-40 or 50 can charge to 32 amps, max. The Tesla Universal Wall Connector is highly recommended as this wont be your first and only Tesla and other models can use higher current draw up to 48 amps.

Now scheduling.
In the Tesla app you can schedule Departure and Charge. I don't use this as I have a wall connector and use the settings under that.
Here is the doc for the Tesla App Departure and Charge under each vehicle:

For the wall connector, highly recommended vs mobile charging for many outlet reliability problems, you can setup a start and stop charging window matching the electrical company's TOU.
Not sure why you are bringing up preconditioning related to the battery, not a concern for home charging.
If you are talking about the setting climate in the app under schedule and you leave everyday at the same time, guess that makes sense. I just hit climate 5 min before I want to leave.

Well, not as fully as you want.

You don't get to set both of those. You get to choose either the start time or the stop time--not both.

And the wording on those two settings is incredibly unclear.

1. Start time. The wording of this one actually makes sense and does exactly what it says. It will start charging at this time. And it will go until it reaches your charge limit.

2. Off peak. This is weird ridiculous wording, where you set your cheaper off peak times, and at the end of that off peak time is when it will plan to end the charging. It starts whenever it estimates it needs to to reach that end point.

Scheduled departure is a setting for warming the cabin to make you comfy when you're ready to get in the car. Meh.
I understand thanks. And while getting comfy and all is great, I was more thinking of preconditioning the car during the winter to warm up the battery.

First easy answer, the mobile charger using the 14-40 or 50 can charge to 32 amps, max. The Tesla Universal Wall Connector is highly recommended as this wont be your first and only Tesla and other models can use higher current draw up to 48 amps.

Now scheduling.
In the Tesla app you can schedule Departure and Charge. I don't use this as I have a wall connector and use the settings under that.
Here is the doc for the Tesla App Departure and Charge under each vehicle:

For the wall connector, highly recommended vs mobile charging for many outlet reliability problems, you can setup a start and stop charging window matching the electrical company's TOU.
Not sure why you are bringing up preconditioning related to the battery, not a concern for home charging.
If you are talking about the setting climate in the app under schedule and you leave everyday at the same time, guess that makes sense. I just hit climate 5 min before I want to leave.
While this may not be my last tesla/ev, it will be my last EV in this house. Thanks for the manual link, I looked through it a bit for the 3 previously but just wasn't sure how the scheduling + departure worked together if at all. I'm only bringing up preconditioning because during colder winters I want the car to be preconditioned for the battery to heat up for better efficiency.

Thanks.