Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lexus has seen the future ... and ... I have no words

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, they had much better keyboards for texting and replying to email. I'd like a hybrid smart plus that awesome BB keyboard.

Sure, physical keyboards and knobs may be more useful in certain situations, but in overwhelming majority of instances, snappy touchscreen wins. Remember BB had a cult following and majority market share and was nickednamed crackberry. Apparently that crack isn't strong enough against multi-touch screen.

So, in March 2016, Tesla unveiled the dashboard and control interface concept for the Model 3: a single LCD panel to control almost every aspect of the car's functionality, and a smooth, unbroken dash. Having seen the future, Lexus, for the dash for its brand new NX300h has come back with ... this:

upload-lexus_nx_2018_172_300_F_Sport-pic4_zoom-1500x1500-1619.jpg

There is much that could be said about this tightly packed showcase of every button and knob design ever used in any car ever, and as tempted as I am to mention the CD player, the tiny incongruous analog clock, and paddle shifters, what I really want is to call out one thing: That display? It isn't a touch-screen. It is operated by a trackpad on the center console. Because touch-screens are for losers.

---

Why will the big auto companies, with their vastly greater resources, not crush Tesla? This is why.

The image in this post is broken. Can you repost the image?

My point exactly - the Model 3 is not a car that is meant for the manually driven world we live in today. The interior points towards a future where manual driving is optional, if not illegal and reserved to the annals of history.

I agree with you that this will be the likely future in terms of cars.

But the Model 3 is sold now, and now there just aren't any fully self-driving cars around. And even taking into account the rapid advances being made in that particular field of study it will still take at least another decade before self-driving cars will be around in any meaningful quantity, muss less that the majority of the car buying public will want to buy one. So while Elon definitely is showing tremendous foresight, there are drawbacks to this approach, just as tablets have drawbacks compared with notebooks/PCs with keyboards. Sure, some things about tablets are marvellous, but one can't ignore that not everything is perfect.