Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Light Harmonic amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will a Light Harmonic amp work with 2016 model S. It is just the standard audio and not premium. I have 4 Light Harmonic speakers upgraded in front and rear.

I'm thinking you should ask Light Harmonic directly. I've been looking at their amp and was hoping to either hear about user's experience with the digital filter or to see if there's a demo car somewhere in California to listen before I commit to buying for my standard audio system. I plan on upgrading the audio: Just the front door speaker if I'm on a budget, or adding a sub and amp if the LH system can just drop in.

I believe that only the UHFS option has an amp, and this is the the upgraded form of that. Definitely double check me on that, it has been a while since I looked into it.
From all that I read yesterday it appears that you are correct. Non-UHFS systems just use the internal amp in the MCU; the UHFS cars have slightly better grade speakers, more of them, and an additional amplifier to drive those speakers. The LH amp replaces the UHFS amp.

If on a budget, the consensus is to just add an amp and a subwoofer if rock/hip-hop/R&B/etc is your flavor. Some folks talk about adding more midrange bass and clarity by replacing the front door speakers with an 8"/200mm speaker and custom mounting. The rear speakers have the bass frequencies filtered out with the OEM MCU so changing those speakers out don't seem to have nearly the improvement as the fronts. It's recommended to add some sound dampening/deadening material to the front doors and rear wheel wells. For the added touch, adding an amp and a tuned DSP seems to be the way to go.

Here is a very helpful post to help you understand the UHFS system: Ideal Aftermarket Audio System for Model S

As for the base system, I have a facelift 2016 S with the base system. I'm in the process of doing this myself and have been through several re-thinks before just settling on keeping things relatively simple:

Full NVX sub package / amp in the trunk.
Front doors / pillars: Rockford Fosgate T2652-S Power 6.50
Rear doors: Rockford Fosgate T1650 Power 6.5"

I'll use a Rockford Fosgate R2-500X4 amp to push them and a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 for fine-tuning.

This should be more than enough to make things sound great. I had considered going all out and putting Hertz Mille MP 703's in the front dash and rear deck, then powering it all with an 8 channel DPS amp, but I think the above will accomplish all I really need.